• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis still just likes his cage.........

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am starting to worry again that Elivis, my goffin, still only likes to play in/on his cage. We've had him now since April, I believe. So I thought he would be more interested in exploring etc. His cage is in the living room (and then I move it at night for him to sleep). And he always wants us in the room with him. And he does play- like a crazy bird- destroying toys, swinging on the cage door, jumping and climbing but he doesn't want to leave his cage. He will come and sit with either my fiancé or me for about 15-20 minutes in the evening for scratches. But then he wants to go back to his cage. Is this normal?

I worry because he is such a smart bird and I don't want him getting bored, etc. I would love to take him with me into other rooms and I want to start harness training him. But I can't really even harness train when I can't get him off of his cage. And he's not food motivated. So bribing him with treats doesn't work. Am I worrying over nothing? (And I know @JLcribber, be careful what I wish for. ;)) I just think he has to be getting bored with just being on his cage and I feel like I'm failing him........

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I think that's pretty normal for some birds depending on their personality. The limited experience with Goffins I've had is most of them really like playing on their cages. I'd just keep going at his pace. He sounds really happy which is great :) I'm curious to see what other Goffin owners have to say but I don't really think of them as "ground birds". My late Tiel and my Moluccan loved to have a good walk around the floor. My U2 doesn't thou. He's content staying higher up.

How is Elvis at flying? Both of my guys suck at it. If he's not confident in his flying abilities it maybe why he doesn't come off his cage much. I think it takes a really secure bird or one who's natural instincts are to wander on the floor. My U2 Echo is kind of a nervous bird which is why I think he stay off the floor.

Even though they're are Toos Goffins don't strike me as the most cuddlely of Toos. I think they may be a bit more independent than other Toos. Which isn't a bad thing. Do you have a T stand or a play stand that Elvis can play on while in other rooms? That could be part of the answer. Again I'm curious as to what other Goffin owners have to say as I only have limited experience with them. But sounds to me things overall are great :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bobber has been here for 2 years now, and he rarely leaves his cage area. He is just comfortable there. He does want to be able to see me and likes to have us around, but for the most part he will just contact call instead of trying to come to us. He won't step up onto a hand or perch, so unless he is spooked or Jingo encourages him to follow, he pretty much stays in or on his cage all day, everyday. He does play with his toys; he's a little wood chipper!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing to worry about, IMO. Keno likes to hang out on her cage or bother the other birds (not generally a good thing). The other thing she chooses to do is chew on the walls. Goffin's are independent and Keno just wants to do her own thing. If I bring her downstairs she leaves very quickly and goes back upstairs. If I put her on a stand she will just fly off of it and either go back to her cage or another bird's cage. She does enjoy being scratched/petted but when she feels like it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think that's pretty normal for some birds depending on their personality. The limited experience with Goffins I've had is most of them really like playing on their cages. I'd just keep going at his pace. He sounds really happy which is great :) I'm curious to see what other Goffin owners have to say but I don't really think of them as "ground birds". My late Tiel and my Moluccan loved to have a good walk around the floor. My U2 doesn't thou. He's content staying higher up.

How is Elvis at flying? Both of my guys suck at it. If he's not confident in his flying abilities it maybe why he doesn't come off his cage much. I think it takes a really secure bird or one who's natural instincts are to wander on the floor. My U2 Echo is kind of a nervous bird which is why I think he stay off the floor.

Even though they're are Toos Goffins don't strike me as the most cuddlely of Toos. I think they may be a bit more independent than other Toos. Which isn't a bad thing. Do you have a T stand or a play stand that Elvis can play on while in other rooms? That could be part of the answer. Again I'm curious as to what other Goffin owners have to say as I only have limited experience with them. But sounds to me things overall are great :)
His wings were clipped pretty severely when he came to us and they fairly recently molted out. I was convinced that he couldn't fly because he didn't for what seemed to me like the longest time. However, our bird sitter said he flew really well at her house (because he didn't want to go to bed, LOL) and my fiancé said Elvis did laps around the room with him. I have never actually seen him fly. Just found him hanging from the chandelier one day when he got spooked. LOL. I do have a t-stand but he's afraid of it. And I want to get him a java tree but am reluctant to spend that kind of money if he's not going to go near it. Thanks- it's good to know I'm not completely off base with him.

And my cockatiel loved to walk and explore too. Maybe that's why I thought Elvis would do more of it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Mizzely and @iamwhoiam , thanks. It sounds like it's just normal Goffin behavior then. If Elvis had his way, I would stand by his cage 24/7 and play and scratch him. LOL. He definitely wants us near, but on his terms. I guess I'm just used to my cockatiel who was either off exploring or glued to me.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He definitely wants us near, but on his terms.
Sounds like Elvis has a strong personality...his cage is his safe place if he needs it. I think as time goes along, he'll be more inquisitive about his environment and his place in it. :)

My budgies rarely leave their cage, or the space on top of it. I have to admit it's something great to see when they do, however. They're like two little "buzz-bombs"... flying around the room and chirping...they seem so very happy to fly around. The tiels just look at them...wide-eyed...:wideyed:

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
my budgies love to fly too, especially when I first open the cage in the morning. The buzz is funny =)) My cockatiel starts flying when she sees them fly its cute ! She doesn't fly much at all, She is still learning the ropes , shes 2 months 3 weeks old and just out of quarenteen !