• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis somehow cracked his beak (he's okay)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I took Elvis to get his nails trimmed yesterday, and the vet said- did you know his beak is cracked up the middle. :jawdrop1: I didn't. And I give him kisses and rub his beak everyday, as does my fiancé and neither of us saw it. And it clearly wasn't bothering him but I felt like a horrible bird mom that I didn't know. My vet was able to dremel most of the crack out- much to Elvis's great dismay. But the vet said a little bit of the crack is still there so I need to keep an eye on it.

I don't really know what happened other than Elvis loves to bang his top cage doors around. So I'm wondering if one came down on his beak? Anyway, are there any supplements, vitamins or anything that I can give him to help strengthen his beak? I don't want it to split more.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my...I don't know. Can the vet put anything on it?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my...I don't know. Can the vet put anything on it?
Well, the vet sanded most of the crack out- if that's the right terminology and rubbed coconut oil on it. You really can barely see the bit that's left. I just didn't know if there was anything else I could do to help. Elvis plays pretty rough so I unfortunately can see this happening again.