• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis' messed up flight feathers

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Back in January Elvis escaped his cage during the night, I finally found him in the morning, underneath my bed. He had no flight feathers on his right wing, so I clipped his left wing. Today his wings are growing in wrong, messy feathers, feathers growing in the wrong direction, and some aren't growing in at all. Because of this I feel I might have to keep him clipped at all times, since he keeps crashing. He can't fly anymore, and I feel so bad for him. His vet can't figure out why his feathers aren't growing in, and there is nothing I can do.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Can you show pictures? Is it the side he damaged that grows in wrong or the side you clipped?

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Right wing, the wing that loss all flight feathers.
I've pulled every badly damaged feather, and every feather that grew in the wrong direction. These are the ones that have minor damage and the ones that are growing in again. 20170528_131651.jpg

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Hmm. I wonder what caused the loss of feathers. Do you have any pets? One time I accidentally put my knee down on my cockatiels tail and all her tail feathers detached. I wonder if another pet if you have any did similar to the wing? However my tiels tail did grow in normally after that.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Hmm. I wonder what caused the loss of feathers. Do you have any pets? One time I accidentally put my knee down on my cockatiels tail and all her tail feathers detached. I wonder if another pet if you have any did similar to the wing? However my tiels tail did grow in normally after that.
I do have other pets, but they sleep in their crates at night, and I had closed the door to room my birds were in.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what is this little one eating for food please. feathers take a lot protein.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
what is this little one eating for food please. feathers take a lot protein.
He's on a very strict diet because he has fatty liver disease.
He rarely gets seed, mostly veggies.
He get chop in the morning (carrots, spinach, broccoli, and a different fruit every week) he gets a small amount of pellets for lunch, and he has spinach leaves with chopped carrots for dinner, and once in a while I replace the chopped carrots for some millet, and I try to get him to exercise for 2 hours daily. (In 30 minute sessions)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
just another suggestion might be worth taking him into the vet for bloodwork.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wouldn't have recommended clipping him.... I know that loosing feathers on one wing causes him to become "unbalanced", but clipping him causes him to be even more "unbalanced" as the new feathers grow in.

And if I'm not mistaken, 4 of those feathers have stress bars on them.... only two broke at the stress bar.

It's possible that his health issues are causing his poor feather issues...

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
And if I'm not mistaken, 4 of those feathers have stress bars on them.... only two broke at the stress bar.

It's possible that his health issues are causing his poor feather issues...

Yes, those aren't has bad as the ones I had pulled.

He does have liver disease, could that result in poor feather conditions?