• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ELLIOTT-My Congo

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
Hello everyone, thank you for having me. I think I might have trouble navigating your forum in asking questions or finding related issues. I may need help.

My Grey, Elliott, is 26. I have had him since he was 3 months old. I am on this forum so I do not have to tell you how much I LOVE HIM. He is an only child and very happy but about 11 years ago on a yearly physical to his vet (complete CBC and throat culture- the blood was fine but the throat culture showed pseudomonas or klebsiella. Baytril was not working so he was put on CIPRO, oral suspension 2x day for two weeks and his follow up was fine. A couple of years in the 11 he was fine. He eats scenic pellets-80%, squash, sweet potato, loves broccoli- carrots and a little banana. He has been on Nekton calcium D3 for 15 years. He was deficient. Last week the only think I noticed was that his feathers were ruffled. And the big thing for him is playing. He was not going in his room. He also was not eating as much and last Thursday I didn't like this so Friday I rushed him to his vet. She is an Avian vet and wonderful. He had lost 13 grams, I weighed before we left. His doctor took one look at him and saw he was dehydrated by his eyes. She took a CBC and throats culture, gave him a shot of Baytril and called CVS for the CIPRO. Inhand fed him Thursday night, Friday night, the day I took him in. After the first dose of CIPRO he began eating on his own Saturday morning. I'm sorry this is so long but I love him so much. My question is: How did I miss this? I check him all the time. One more day and he could have died. I keep him spotless- his cage, toys, food cups, water. What can I do so that he doesn't get so sick like this last time?

I would so much appreciate any suggestions/advice because I'm always watching him and checking his droppings. Please help. Thanks, much.

Elaine

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. The important thing is you did catch it. Birds hide their illness. So sometimes it's hard to catch. Do you weight him at home? If not, perhaps start weighing him once a week as weight loss is often a first sign of illness. Also, maybe ask your vet about giving him probiotics for awhile. I had an elderly cockatiel that was prone to infections. I was a fanatic about keeping everything clean, hand washing etc. I asked my vet what I was doing wrong and he said that living with humans our birds are going to be exposed to bacteria regardless of how clean we try to keep everything. We can just try our best.

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
Hi sunnysmom,
Thank you. I do not weigh Elliott everyday because I can tell by his appearance, his eating, playing and droppings. But, from now on, I will weigh every day. Thank you for the suggestion of probiotics. When his doctor calls with his test results (he is already on the Cipro) I will ask what she recommends. Elliott has been my only bird and I love him so much. Thank you, again. Elaine

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's not hard to miss when a parrot is starting to get sick. They are masters at hiding symptoms. In the wild a bird that is ill is a goner, so they try to hide their illness.

Weighing on a regular basis can give you an indication of illness - once he gets well, once a week would be fine.

Do you know the results of his CBC and Chem Panel tests? Did your vet run a culture and sensitivity to make sure which antibiotic is the correct one for the bacteria causing the infection? At 26 years old your baby should get an xray once every year or second year.

It sounds to me as if you are doing a fine job of caring for Elliot.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Welcome to the Avenue! How fortunate you are to have had such a long relationship with a bird. I'm a new bird slave... I wasn't looking to get a bird, but came upon a baby cockatiel who was being abused by it's owners. I literally took the baby from them. I didn't expect it to live through the night, but it did! Now, four months later, TD is the happy, whistling, singing, talking love of my life!

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
I am having a little trouble figuring out how to replay. Somehow, I was able to reply to Sunnysmom, I don't know how I did that but I wanted to reply to two other folks who were kind enough to respond about Elliott. I see the posts but it says you have to sign in to reply. So I signed in and I'm back at the posts but cannot find a place to replay. I don't know how I replied to the first one. Can someone guide me through this. I would also like to help others with their feathered children. Thanks, Elaine

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry your bird is sick, and I hope he feels better soon!
:hug8:

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
Can someone help me. I don't know where I should reply. I keep signing in but can't find a place to replay- help, please ☹

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The reply box is at the bottom of the page.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Can someone help me. I don't know where I should reply. I keep signing in but can't find a place to replay- help, please ☹
Don't feel bad! This is the first forum I've joined bcuz everyone here is so helpful. Being from the TCG (Technologically Challenged Generation) I am never sure how to do anything!

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
Hankmacaw

Thank you. I hope this goes out. Yes, since Baytril did not work another avian vet researched the issue for other antibiotics. CIPRO was the choice as Elliott responds to it quickly. His blood work is not back- his CBC- liver and kidney check- throat culture. But she started him on CIPRO right away. He had his first X-ray in March- a little hardening of the arteries in his legs. He is in a blood vessel thinner. I hope you get this as I went into the reply box but did not know who I was posting to so I used Hankmacaw- didn't think he would mind!

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
Thank you, Alien J. You did a wonderful thing. It was meant to be. These furry creatures grow on you. I am grateful to have had Elliott and honored to know him. He is beautiful. And there is nothing I would not do for him. I hope you get this as I am technically challenged!

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
Hello Tiel Feathers,

What an outpouring of response. I'm overwhelmed. As I said to the other great folks, I'm not sure where these replies are going- i am technically challenged but I want to contribute to others so I hope I'm doing this right. If not, someone please tell me. Thanks a lot!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It posted just fine.
When you want to get the attention of a particular person you just type in an @ and type the first few letters of their screen name, then a box will come up and you find their name and double click on it and their screen name will post in your message and will post to the person's "alerts" box (at the top right hand corner of the screen. Then that person will know that you want their attention. Like this @Elaine DiMare .

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
What an outpouring of response. I
I have never seen the like as the folks here on the Avenue. They have guided me, made me laugh, helped me to see, and never once made me feel less than, other than or beneath anyone or anything. My fiancee says he is most grateful that I have found this "home".

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
@Alien J i think I got this right, Alien. Hankmacaw told me how. I love that your heart was so open to take in your little guy. Now he is the love of your life. Elliott was my first bird. We always had dogs. When I moved into my place, nompets except birds. I looked into several stores that had hand fed babies. After 3 stores, in Stamford, CT there hecwas. I walked in, saw him, and yelled out,"Elliott" as though I had known him forever and found him again. The owner looked at me and said, you don't even own him and you gamed him. I said, I want him. I love him so and bless your heart for giving your little one a home filled with love❤

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
@Hankmacaw can you tell me, when you have some time, how I can upload a picture of Elliott as you have with Hankmacaw? Thanks,

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello Elaine I am Dianne. If your bird is now on Cipro I suggest you ask your vet about giving your bird a pro biotic as well. Cipro is broad spectrum rather strong antibiotic. A probiotic helps to normalize the GI tract by adding back in the good bacteria that Cipro will kill. Probiotics for birds are sold over the counter but you vet my have one she prefers.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
MM on ring.jpg To upload a photo first it should be in your picture file on the computer or other device you are using. When you place the cursor in the new box to reply to us you will see 3 blue buttons on the bottom right of the reply box. The second one says upload file. Click on that and then hit the browse button and it will take you to the picture file on your computer and click on the picture you want to put here. Your photo will come up as a thumbnail at the bottom and look very small. You can enlarge it by another click and it will appear as large as mine. That is all you really need to do. Here is one of my two budgies as an example:

Last edited: