• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ella's story

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I wasn't looking for a cockatoo. I wanted an african grey baby and was looking for a cage on craigslist. I saw the ad for Ella. It was in the wrong section with the cages, and it just pulled at my heartstrings. And Ella was only 15 mins away in the next small town over.

I made contact and there were so many coincidences. The lady's name was Jasmin,same as one of my daughters. She lived on Homestead same as me but I'm in the next town over. I found out later Jasmin's birthday was the same day as mine.

Her prior owner said she had only had her for a couple months but didn't know what to do to help her. She said she took her in from a relative who smoked, who had a lot of birds and was going to have her put down.

She said she was so sweet and loving and so she took her in. Unfortunately she was fed only seeds,and I believe had no bathing opportunities and nothing to chew on and also did not see a vet for whatever reason.

Ella is a plucker and a mutilator. She was completely featherless except for her head and a few feathers on her wings. She was dirty,discolored and bandaged. But when I went to go see her she greeted me with a "Hello". I gave her a peanut and she gratiously accepted and stepped right up on my hand. She was the sweetest and cutest little thing.

So I brought her home with me. I didn't know if I could help but I was determined to try. I didn't know she had an injury or how bad it was until I got her home and unwrapped her bandages the next day. I had a sick feeling just looking at the gaping hole in her abdomen and I wondered if I was in over my head. But I fig'd with help from the many knowlegeable people on the forum she could be rehabilitated. So we started on the road to recovery.

She was eating an all seed diet. I began cooking for her twice a day, oatmeal in the morning and Higgins cookables in the evening. She is very picky and doesn't eat a lot of things but she enjoyed the new foods. she enjoys warm spoon feedings. I let her have some her seeds for snack.

When I first got her she would just stand perched on her food bowl digging around for seeds. With new perches and toys and the new diet she is now very active. She shreds for most of the day. she loves oatmeal and I can sneak a lot of things in with the oatmeal. She also loves almonds in addition to peanuts and corn which I try to limit due to possible allergy. She also loves to snuggle.

She is such a joy. She says Hello whenever someone walks in the room. She responds when you talk to her. she says night night and bye bye. And Hello Birdy. She talks every day and she also comes out of her cage and dances her dance singing out Hello.

She has brought me such joy. My girls help out. When I have to fix dinner or run errands I have my 14yr old or my 6yr old babysit Ella. They know if she starts picking at her injury to say "No Ella" and redirect her with a chewing toy. She loves chewing balsa.

One day my 14 yr old came home from school and burst in my room and Ella said Hello. Teenagers always so self absorbed,she continued with her Hey Mom, can I ....blah blah blah. Ella spoke again "Hello" I said to my daughter can you take a minute to say Hello to me and Ella first. She is so cute. My husband enters the room--he is not too much a bird person-- Ella says Hello. I hear my husband answer her. He says Hey, what's up. This just made me smile.

I told my girls this is a team effort to rehabilitate Ella. My 7 yr old loves her so much. she talks to her and reads to her. We dress her up. we have sweaters for her. we made night shirts and ponchos. She wears a poncho most of the time, keeps her warm and protects her injury but she can still move around.

The vet said she is doing well. everything is good internally. Injury is almost completely healed and now we have to work on the outside. we're working on her feathering but she is already beautiful to us.

A big thank you for the inspiration award and to everyone here who has helped Ella and me with advice and encouragement. Without the help and resources of all the good people here I would never have had the courage to take in Ella because the fear of not knowing what to do would have stopped me.

Deep down in my heart of hearts I know I could not have helped Ella without Avian Avenue.

Thank you:hug8::hug8::hug8:
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
My prayer is that she finally feels loved enough to stop plucking and mutilating permanently. I know you will do your best for her.

Ginger

Quest

Real Name
Judy
What a beautiful little soul.
Please give us updates often.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
bless your hearts..you and your family are very special people for giving Ella a second chance at life...

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
That is the best story! Ella is a very special little girl, and she knows she is loved now. :heart: You're doing a GREAT job with her!! :dance4:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
So wonderful what you have done for Ella, she is a very lucky girl to have found her way to you!

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
Wow what a beautiful story. You truly did save her. Best of luck with her for the many wonderful years you will have her.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I love to read your postings about Ella. She is such a pretty girl and I know she will continue to thrive in your care.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bless you, she is a special little girl.

TypingParrot

i remember reading about the being torn on the decision to take her or get your grey. I think we are all so happy you chose Ella. And it is just wonderful that you did give her such a home.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Ella has found a soft place to land. Beautiful!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Ella is so lucky you found her...you are doing wonders with her. She is a beautiful girl:):heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Loved the story Elsie :heart:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I love hearing about Ella. Thank you for sharing this.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Ella is blessed to have you in her life, I hope she continues to do well, I love reading & seeing pictures of her, she is such a sweetheart.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Thanks. I hope to have a wonderul update to the story in a few months with pics.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Some how I missed this story. :o: Ella is a special girl:hug8: You are both lucky to have found each other.:hug8:

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Aww thanks. I love her to pieces. She has so much personality. Her inner beauty just shines.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I love you for recognising beauty ---physical and spiritual . And Well, I just love Ella.:heart: