• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Electric Space Heaters?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are these safe to use in a room with a bird? (A bird in a cage, not one that can get near the heater itself?) Our furnace is being weird- I actually think it is the thermostat- but the temperature will drop into the sixties and then go back up. So not freezing cold but until we get it fixed, which will be soon I hope, I worry about it dropping too low. I was going to leave a space heater on for Elvis this morning. It has an automatic on/off. So it would shut itself off once the room was warm but then I panicked about whether it was safe (Teflon?) and unplugged it. I guess I could try to look at the manufacturer's website for components? Does anyone use one for their birds?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The oil-filled radiator space heaters are usually safe after you "burn them off" outside for awhile.
What kind of space heater are you asking about?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Most space heaters do have Teflon so are unsafe but some are ok, such as the ceramic oil-filled heaters.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is just a small electric one. I'm not even sure of the brand. I'll have to look when I get home. I got it as a gift. I don't think it's ceramic. The good news is, I just talked to the fiancé and he said when he got home the house was at 71 degrees. So I think Elvis will be okay until we can get a repairman to look at the furnace. The electric heater will go back to the basement. LOL. Or maybe to Goodwill.

Jonnywalter

Moving in
Real Name
Jon
Electric only and no teflon components... and even then they can be a gamble due to possible fire hazards if combustibles get too close.
I have an Eden Pure space heater.All safe been using it all winter in same room and no issues yet.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Put it outside and run it on high for a day. That should burn off any teflon.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Put it outside and run it on high for a day. That should burn off any teflon.

Sorry. This is completely wrong. Teflon is not a temporary coating that burns off. It is a permanent coating. When heated above a certain point the coating starts to break down and burn off. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Sorry. This is completely wrong. Teflon is not a temporary coating that burns off. It is a permanent coating. When heated above a certain point the coating starts to break down and burn off. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
I don't understand. It does burn off but it doesn't?

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We use small heaters made by Patton, I had called and written them a couple of years ago about teflon in their product and they say it doesnt have it.
Ive use this heater for my birds for a couple of years now.

Patton Electric Utility Milkhouse Heater - Walmart.com

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I use a Lasko. I asked a few years ago and they said no PTFE/PFOA/Teflon.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a Lasko. I asked a few years ago and they said no PTFE/PFOA/Teflon.
This is what I use and have had no problem with it.

HermaRampton

Moving in
Real Name
Herma Rampton
If you are looking for birds' rooms then you should be very careful. I don't take any risk with birds' safety. I would recommend you Honeywell UberHeat HCE200W. It is a little expensive but very safe. Otherwise, you can see the adjustable space heaters here.

HarriettWulf

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Harriett Wulf
Electric space heaters are little noisy but yes, they are good for health as they don't emit CO. I am using a fanned heater for my birds' room. Here, you can look at reviews to know more.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmm I had a little space heater thing for my bedroom the other year. My boyfriend insisted on getting that damn thing, I told him no, it´s crap, it´s dangerous etc. After forking out 300quid in electric bill for the ONE month, he was using it one day and it set on fire!!!!! :wideyed:

HarriettWulf

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Harriett Wulf
That's scary. Next time you should select the quality heater after reading the reviews properly. I also don't like the noise of fan infrared heaters.