• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkies Not Getting Along

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy and Sergei just don't get along! He is super friendly and she's constantly in attack mode with him. I realize that everyone is not going to be BFFs, but does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help Lucy at least tolerate Surgei?

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
Have you tried introducing them in a neutral space (like not in sight of their cages)? Maybe bring out some fruit and feed them at the same time. Just enough for them to be comfortable with being in the same room together, just eating?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'll try that today! I have them in a large aviary room but I can't even let them out at the same time without me standing right there to intercede.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My females never got along with my males haha the boys just needed enough room to get away quickly when the red heads got mad :roflmao:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My females never got along with my males haha the boys just needed enough room to get away quickly when the red heads got mad :roflmao:
Lucy is terrible to Sergei! I was hoping they'd get to be friends after being together for over a year but no such luck! I can't even let them out at the same time. I'm just too afraid she'll kill him. If I'm holding him and she's out she'll run over and start biting my feet and legs trying to get to him. And if he comes out while I'm playing with her she just bee lines to attack him. Nothing I have tried has made a dent in her attitude towards him! Sergei has never ever even nipped anyone and is gentle as can be. He doesn't do anything to provoke her either. I wonder how the species procreate if all the gals behave like Lucy! Lol

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They say in the wild while they have mates they arent truly monogamous. They mess around with others. Maybe that helps? Ive only found pairs who are put together as babies get along when it is male and female. Ive never seen personally an old pair successfully matched. Males in my experience get along fine. Females respect each others space. Different sex just annoy each other lol

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
There's a lot of that going around, and not just with birds!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could it be if they are not a bonded pair they dont like eachother in the Eckie world?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I would be happy if we got to the point where Lucy just ignored him. I've been trying everything I've read about to get her to be cordial but it always ends up with me grabbing up Sergei before she totals him. It would be nice if I could let Lucy out to play with the crew, but she'll attack Newt and Angel too. But if all 4 are out at the same time, she'll go after Sergei every time. So, Lucy only gets out to play about 3 hours a day while the others only have their doors closed while she's roaming around. I have a dedicated aviary room for their comfort and safety, and only Angel or Sergei are behaved enough to sit on my shoulder while I do whatever in other parts of my house. So I take turns with them while doing chores etc. Lucy and Newt both try to remove my ears!

I just wish I could figure out something that would change her aggressive tendencies. Then she'd be able to have a lot more fun and a better life too.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Sorry to say from all I have read its common, Ekkie hens are just feisty. Most people I know do not let their boys and girls out at the same time unless they are feeding chicks. I did quite a bit of research when I thought that having a girlfriend for Doby might relieve anxiety but when I leaned that I may end up having to keep them separated I decided against it

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ekkie aren't monogamous, as mentioned.

This is a great documentary. There is a great part on ekkies. Might help clearing up the male and female relationship. It is unique compared to some other parrots. So worth a watch. The females are very protective of the nest and raise the young. The males bring food to all the ladies.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Wow! That was beautiful as well as informative. Thank you so much for sharing. Sergei tries to feed flock mates as well as myself. I always make sure to give him extra food because of this. Poor guy tries to feed Lucy through the cage bars but she snaps at him big time. Maybe I should show her this video!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sorry to say from all I have read its common, Ekkie hens are just feisty. Most people I know do not let their boys and girls out at the same time unless they are feeding chicks. I did quite a bit of research when I thought that having a girlfriend for Doby might relieve anxiety but when I leaned that I may end up having to keep them separated I decided against it
Lucy was a plucker, a major biter, and not really tame at all. No one wanted her (for obvious reasons). Even with a very low adoption fee of $200, poor Lucy was passed over time and again.

However, she was/is an awesome talker, loves to play and throw large plastic birdie balls around, and sings Opera! I saw potential and she seemed comfortable with me.

I have a large home and keeping Sergei and Lucy in their aviary rooms was not a problem. After months of them hollering Hello and Come Here to each other I moved them in to a neutral room with separate cages of course.

Well, Sergei is still trying to be her friend while Lucy views him as the enemy that must be elliminated! I tried separating them again but they missed each other terribly. I guess it's like an old couple that fights all the time but can't live without each other!

I am constantly trying new things to get her to be friends to no avail. My babies are here for life. They are an integral part of our family. I equate it to having two squabbling teenagers in the house!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I do think all 3 of my species saw themselves as part of a flock. They liked being in the same room but I knew better than to have any physical interactions

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I do think all 3 of my species saw themselves as part of a flock. They liked being in the same room but I knew better than to have any physical interactions
That's the truth! Maybe Lucy will never get along with other birds, but I'm still holding onto hope that one day she will want to join the fun!