• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkie Preening

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Neither of my ekkies really preen their feathers. They have 5" straws sticking out all over the place. Neither have ever had their wings clipped, but neither could fly even if they wanted to. Sergei will let me crunch up the sheaths for a few minutes but that's about it. I wouldn't even try this on Lucy - I'd pull back a bloody stump! I keep them well bathed thinking this will soften the shafts somewhat and encourage them to preen themselves but it's like they just can't be bothered or have more fun things to do!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have read that some people use 100% natural aloe vera to help. I would ask your vet before using this though. I am only passing on what I have read and not first hand experience.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Any other ideas anyone???

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Has anyone else ever dealt with such a thing?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
My PFL left her incoming flight feathers like that, multiple long shafts with the little feather tufts coming out the bottoms...I tried to help her out but was only allowed very limited neck and cheek scritches at the time, even then she was crabby and bitey. She was preening everywhere else normally but just skipped her flight feathers. Then one morning I woke up to see she’d gone through and fixed them all. Maybe yours will do the same? I was thinking she may have left them like that to maintain her balance and flight until the feathers were simultaneously in and ready on each wing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt has often left feathers he could easily get to and if I try to help he lets me know my help is not wanted. Then all of a sudden he will clear them all completely. There are some spots I know to just leave alone as he doesn’t like the help there and some spots he will almost beg for help with even sometimes when they still seem a bit tender.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Burt has often left feathers he could easily get to and if I try to help he lets me know my help is not wanted. Then all of a sudden he will clear them all completely. There are some spots I know to just leave alone as he doesn’t like the help there and some spots he will almost beg for help with even sometimes when they still seem a bit tender.
^Much better advice than what I wrote. I recently read how dangerous aloe vera is for birds! -So glad you didn't try that :)

This site explains it in more detail.
aloevera