• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkie Girl Sleeping on Ground?

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
Any idea why my girl would start sleeping on the bottom of the cage? This started last night, she usually sleeps on whichever perch is highest (with this set up is was usually the top left towards the front of the cage), but last night she slept in the shallow box that is usually in the back right corner. I moved the box tonight in hopes that she wouldn’t sleep in it again and now she is just on the grate sleeping (back right corner). She is very alert, if I open the door she pops up and climbs to the spot where I bring her out of the cage from. She is behaving normally when awake and her weight is fine. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Box is like a nest so she could get nesty. Might be a good idea to remove it.

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
Box is like a nest so she could get nesty. Might be a good idea to remove it.
So the box in question is one of those shallow boxes that you’d put canned goods in. I was using it as a foraging toy. I also moved it and she wasn’t sleeping in the box itself, just on the ground in the corner.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How old is your girl?
Has she had any injuries in the Past?
Are her legs or ankles swollen?

She may have arthritis (many birds do) and it is painful for her to sleep perching. Your vet can determine is she does have arthritis and give her medication for it.