• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkie extremely nervous

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Hello, a few months back my fiancé and I took in a male eclectus (Zeus). He came from a family who weened him themselves but once that was finished they left him in the cage and spent zero interaction with him. We took him at 6 months of age. Zeus when he arrived with us began to pluck feathers not constantly but enough now to leave a patch of grey feathers. He also over preens. We are currently having a few issues with Zeus. He just doesn't act like a bird what so ever. Once out of the cage if he is with us he is a statue. He is stuck doesn't know what to do. When showering or being sprayed he has only once since April actually opened up and actually washed himself. We replaced him cage which was small to a very large cage and once again he doesn't touch toys and seems to just not know how to be a bird. Anyone know how we can change his behaviour from being nervous around us and pretty much everything. Another odd thing is if he goes to the floor he won't walk at all. If we leave him long enough it's like he begins to get upset because again he is stuck. Any help would be great.

Thank you IMG_1547.JPG

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Your bird is scared, Eclectus actually freeze when scared. Place the cage in a spot where he can see as much has possible. Speak to him and look into enrichment/ foraging toys. Teach him how to play with toys.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We replaced him cage which was small to a very large cage and once again he doesn't touch toys and seems to just not know how to be a bird.
You took away the "only" thing he knew, called his own and gave him a tiny bit of familiarity/comfort. You should have "added" a bigger cage and over time let the bird "choose" to use it.

You're quite right. He doesn't know how to be a bird. They learn by example and he had no examples. That's now your job. You've got to start connecting with your bird on his level. Use your inner bird.

Connecting and Communicating with your Highly Intelligent Parrot. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
That is the the though. My fiancé and I have both been trying to teach him how to be a bird. Play with toys/ wash himself. He has been getting a little better with hands but he still has no trust for hands. He will step up but if you bring your hand up to him even slowly he will naw on your hand. Not hard but almost like testing it out seeing what it is. I will check out that forum.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I know the owner of a private Ekkie group on Facebook. Extremely knowledgable. Only Ekkies!
If you would like to see if you can join it, let me know, I will ask her.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Ok that sounds good. I don't have Facebook but my fiancé does and I'm sure she will allow me to use it.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You haven't had him for a very long time so I can imagine that he's still settling in. He's a young bird and he's in a new environment with a new cage and with new people. I would assume that all of this would be frightening to a naive baby. I would be giving him his space and let him explore on his own. I wouldn't worry too much about spraying him down for now if he is uncomfortable. As long as he has access to plenty of fresh water he may bathe himself but for now just focus on getting him feeling safe

Eclectus also take a long time to wean and mature. That may be something worth taking into consideration!

Good luck with your baby. The over-preening doesn't look too bad at all, hopefully he will settle soon and feel more at home with you :)

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
My biggest worry right now is the feather destruction he Barbers his stomach and pulls feathers. And have pulled out a few large feathers. Thankfully he is going through a moult and I can feel the feathers coming in. Hopefully it will fill them out. Here's a shot of the stomach IMG_1505.JPG

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Zeus into your home.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
The Eclectus Parrot is highly intelligent, but is also particularly susceptible to stress. If your bird is appearing boring, dull, lethargic, shy and maybe stupid. What you're really seeing is the Eclectus Parrot's reaction to stress. This happens when confronted with unfamiliar situations, surroundings or strangers, they freeze and wait.
Early signs of stress

• Disinterest in certain foods or a decreased appetite
  • Lethargy or decreased vigor
  • Fluffed up, loosened plumage
  • Sudden loss of color intensity and shine of feathers or a dull beak
  • Awkward postures or alteration in perch stance

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
That is the the though. My fiancé and I have both been trying to teach him how to be a bird. Play with toys/ wash himself. He has been getting a little better with hands but he still has no trust for hands. He will step up but if you bring your hand up to him even slowly he will naw on your hand. Not hard but almost like testing it out seeing what it is. I will check out that forum.
Hi there. I think you're doing fine with him. As you said, he had no interaction for most of his short life so far... that gives you a lot to overcome. I've been there and it is really hard to be patient but that's what it takes. As someone mentioned above, ekkies tend to do the "Ekkie Freeze" when they are nervous or scared. Also, the nibbling on your hand and even testing the limits a little, is also normal. They explore things with their beak and tongue. Since you said he seems to fear hands I would recommend not pushing the issue. He will come around but it might take a while. Let him learn to trust at his pace. When Tigger came to live with us we had the same problem - it was a true fear of my hands! It took several months of doing nothing but sitting nearby with his cage door open and letting him out when he was comfortable and come to me. I even had to cover my hands with long sleeves for awhile. You can offer little bits of almond or pistachio or some favorite treat, even through the cage bars if that's all he is ok with. Associate your hands with good things! You can find plenty of ways to interact without forcing physical touch. If he likes to sit on top of his cage or a play stand, or even a table or bed, you can hand him toys. Mine love to toss them for me to pick up. LOL They also like getting stuff out of a cup or bowl, especially if it makes noise.

I wouldn't force showers/bathing. If the vacuum doesn't freak him out you might try running it and see if that prompts him to want a bath. My guys both go bowl diving when I vacuum and make a huge mess. Ha! But they typically do NOT like to go in the shower or be sprayed. However, they do enjoy sitting on the shower door or rod while we shower and get a good steam bath at least. :) That would help with the molting as well, even if he's not getting wet. If he likes to chew paper or soft woods like balsa, etc, he might turn to those rather than over preening.

So hope those are some new ideas for you. Like I said, I know it's super hard to be patient but giving him time to adjust and learn to trust will be well worth your time in the long run. Let us know how it's going!!