• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekki aggression

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My 10 year old female eclectus is very aggressive. She can be sweet for short periods (minutes) but always ends up biting me or attacking my male ekki (who is very gentle and docile, he's 26 and has never even nipped me once).They have only been together for a month. I just got a huge cage with a divider and moved them in separate sides. I didn't want either to be territorial so I changed rooms too. They talk to each other all the time and fondly rub feathers thru the cage divider. But as soon as I let them out at the same time, she runs right over and starts attacking him. I use a towel on her or she'll bite chunks out of me! Very vicious little girl...poor Sergei just ducks for cover and I scoop him up before she can hurt him. A few hours later she's rubbing against the divider and trying to get his attention again! Major tease to say the least! Any advise?

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
A month isn't really a long time.
I would keep the divider in and only let them with each other out of the cage and on a stand somewhere.
AND sometimes they just aren't meant to be with the other one.
I know where there is an aggressive male. He acts the same way. Will be gentle for a while - sometimes weeks at a time - and WHAM...he bites you and hard.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
So is there still a chance she will mellow out and not be so aggressive? I can deal with her like this, but she would be so much happier! I sit and watch movies with my ekki male and share a bowl of popcorn (no salt, no butter), he sits on my shoulder while I do dishes, sew, even crochet. He likes to ride little wooden trucks i push slowly across the floor, he plays wiffle ball soccer, climbs my indoor willow tree, and gives kisses when I give him nutri berries! Lucy is so unpredictable that she is missing out on all the bird fun. She's curious and interested for a couple minutes, but then I get bit. So back in the cage she goes for another time out and I leave the room. She soon starts hollering Mama Mama, Come Here! This cycle continues several times every day. I'm sticking it out even if she never changes, but it breaks my heart.