• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think you missunderstood me.

You are only counting the days it takes for eggs to hatch. But I am saying, if those eggs hatch, you will then have the chicks to watch over. A good 2 months. Time for the eggs to hatch, and a good 5 weeks before they can leave. Or more if you keep them :)

(Not the same species, but similar hatch times) My Adelies egg was laid on 29 Nov. 23 days later, he hatched on 22 dec. He´s a slow grower. I´m still feeding him 4 times a day.
Here´s a link
41 days | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
It has now been 44 days. This is from day 5 of life.
In total it has been 72 days watching over Adelie, and a week before that with the other eggs.

Candling the eggs is good because if there is a non viable egg, it´s best to remove it as to not impede the viable ones.
Good to know Blance is eating well :)

Last edited:

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I understand. I know the time investment. My original statement was just waiting to see if i do get chicks.
Kinda like when someone is pregnant, and they have a month to go. Its always the longest of the 9. You dont think about the rest of the babys life, youre just waiting for the arrival.
One of my greatest joys is hand raising/taming babies. Ive been doing it over a year, and as im no expert, i want to learn all i can. This is just a wonderful experience i plan on enjoying and treasuring the rest of my life.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I see what you mean. You´re reffering to the suspense :)

Well I can´t wait to see if you have chicks.
I still recommend candling, like I said, it is better for any fertilke eggs that non viable eggs are removed so the hen can incubate them easier, or you could be risking egg death for a non viable egg.

Please keep us updated :D

AviMom

So I just lost a clutch. The eggs slipped out the back of the nest box between the box and the cage. I hadn't checked on them since this morning, but noticed both parents out of the box . When I checked, saw the eggs were not where they could be sat on, so they left the box. I put on gloves and put the eggs back inside, and mom is sitting on them, but I'm sure the babies will not develop since incubation stopped. I'm so sad.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I see what you mean. You´re reffering to the suspense :)

Well I can´t wait to see if you have chicks.
I still recommend candling, like I said, it is better for any fertilke eggs that non viable eggs are removed so the hen can incubate them easier, or you could be risking egg death for a non viable egg.

Please keep us updated :D
I've read that you shouldn't take out eggs fertile or not if the hen is laying on them, unless you replace with dummy eggs, or have no choice(egg broke), as this can cause her to lay more to make up for the lost ones.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
So I just lost a clutch. The eggs slipped out the back of the nest box between the box and the cage. I hadn't checked on them since this morning, but noticed both parents out of the box . When I checked, saw the eggs were not where they could be sat on, so they left the box. I put on gloves and put the eggs back inside, and mom is sitting on them, but I'm sure the babies will not develop since incubation stopped. I'm so sad.
Don't be too sad, it's not like they suffered. They were too small to feel anything . Sorry though ! Next time !

AviMom

I put the eggs back. She's sitting on them, but they won't hatch. She will eventually lose interest when they don't hatch.

Cberry77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christine Berry
I have the opposite problem.Ava won't stop laying!No breeder box. I did put a cardboard box on bottom of cage an she sits for a day.This is the second time this year. So I'm taking all needed protocols , but I'm about ready to let her hatch a few.She is so determined!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have the opposite problem.Ava won't stop laying!No breeder box. I did put a cardboard box on bottom of cage an she sits for a day.This is the second time this year. So I'm taking all needed protocols , but I'm about ready to let her hatch a few.She is so determined!
Speak with your vet, I have seen other AA members have attained an injection for their hens to help reduce laying.