• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs?

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Blanca and Cedric have been mating over a month. Today, Blanca has been staying in breeder box all morning. She came out for a few, ate a little, and went back in. I peeked, and no egg, but shes back in there, and Cedric has been in and out.
Is this normal if shes going to lay? Or should i be getting concerned?

AviMom

I think we have an egg. I saw Blanca out of the box, so i peeked inside. Cedric was laying and aggressively pecked at me, so i quickly closed the door. I doubt he'd be sitting if no egg.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
No eggs? Hmmm, that is weird.

AviMom

Both birds are staying for long periods in the box, they run other tiels off that get too close, theyre mating 2-3 times a day, but nothing. I guess its best, but i would really enjoy the experience. I also have so many people who want me to hand raise a tiel for them, but im not sure of i could let my grandtiels go, lol.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Sometimes it’s better to leave the breeding to the professionals, many things can go wrong . First time parents sometimes don’t take care of their young properly and you will need to hand feed or they may die. Hand feeding can be tedious work, I think 1 week old tiels need like handfeeding every two hours even during the night? Could be wrong. You won’t be able to have a life or job while doing this.

AviMom

Ive hand raised several babies, most from 2 weeks old. Hand feeding is time consuming but very gratifying. Its not that difficult, and they grow very quickly. Ive been getting help from the breeder ive gotten several babies from. Hes very knowledgeable and supportive. Im only wanting the experience of becoming a grand parront. Im not getting into a business here.
If i get eggs, great, if not, great. This is all a learning experience, and that's part of the wonder of having birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have lovebirds not tiels, but before the egg is laid, they are in and out the nesting box collecting bedding (scraps of paper etc). They take it to the nest box and they sit in there chewing the paper to make it soft. Whilst preparing their nest box, they protect it with their life, even when no eggs.
PS, I didn´t have the heart to rehome my birds first clutch, they stayed. As did one from this second (and last) clutch :)

AviMom

I think it would be very hard to let them go. Ive raised babies for other people, knowing they'd be leaving, and it tears me up. I get really attached to them. With them being babies of my babies,...not sure if i could let them go.
Maybe they're in there getting the nest ready. They've been in the box constantly.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think it would be very hard to let them go. Ive raised babies for other people, knowing they'd be leaving, and it tears me up. I get really attached to them. With them being babies of my babies,...not sure if i could let them go.
Maybe they're in there getting the nest ready. They've been in the box constantly.
I struggled big time giving away birds. I´ve given 3 away. 2 to a good friend. and another to a friend of my neighbour who is experienced with lovebirds. The fourth is staying because I had to step in on day 5, and we´ve bonded so strong I just couldn´t let him go. I won´t be letting my hen keep the chicks in future. The eggs will be destroyed as I can´t keep any more and I struggle giving them away :(

Keep us updated if an egg appears :)

AviMom

We have eggs!!! I think 2. Didnt wanna disturb mom too much. Noticed one or both parents staying in the box the last couple of days. So i peeked, and EGGS!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very nice.
So, if they are fertile, are you keeping all of the birds? How will you manage work ect?

I work from home, lucky! as this last chick is growing super slow. The other siblings have weaned and look like adult birds now, but my chick is still small and fluffy, eating his formula. If I had a 9 to 5, I don´t know what I would have done. My smallest chick would not be alive, that´s for sure.

AviMom

Since the pair have been constantly mating, i feel they are fertilized eggs. Most cockatiels first clutch will not survive. Its kinda like a trial run, so im just going to wait and see.
However, i work a very flexible schedule and am currently raising Noel, who is just 7 weeks old. The hand raising is not a problem for me. The problem will be letting them go. I have 11 tiels, well, 9 of my own, but my roommates tiels house with mine.
The tiels I've hand raised and tamed

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Ive hand raised several babies, most from 2 weeks old. Hand feeding is time consuming but very gratifying. Its not that difficult, and they grow very quickly. Ive been getting help from the breeder ive gotten several babies from. Hes very knowledgeable and supportive. Im only wanting the experience of becoming a grand parront. Im not getting into a business here.
If i get eggs, great, if not, great. This is all a learning experience, and that's part of the wonder of having birds.
Cool, I just didn't know you had the experience and help from another breeder ! Good luck =)

AviMom

I didnt know the post i started and didnt get to finish posted. Anyway, im not counting my chickens before they hatch as the saying goes. Just gonna see what happens and go from there. Several people have already said they want a baby. But i have a huge corner cage i can expand into, and been looking for a cage to expand the existing one anyway.
Im just amazed at the fact she laid eggs. If no chicks, maybe they can try again next year.

AviMom

I went to my daughters house for dinner tonight. When i got back home, Dianthus had laid an egg. So now, after all this time, i have 2 possible clutches. Parents are all doing fine. Im providing extra food, of different kinds and water, lots of cuddle bones, mineral blocks. Im reading up on co-parenting.
This will be a long 20 days for me.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This will be a long 20 days for me.
Maybe more than 20 days depending on whether they hatch or not.
Is the hen sitting on the eggs now? Have you candled any?

AviMom

Yes, 18-21 days usually. If really warm, 18, cooler 21. The parents have been taking turns, or both sitting on the eggs since the second egg was laid.
I didnt use a flash light tonight, but im pretty sure there are 6 eggs now.
I have read about candling the eggs, but i dont think im going to do this. Im going to just let nature take its course.
As usual, Momma is eating her chop, full of kale, spinach, mustard greens, walnuts, carrots, cabbage, spring mix, mango, quinoa, cauliflower, strawberries, egg, zucchini, chia and flax seed and more, as well as pellets, nutri-berries, and cockatiel seed. Im most worried about her health, but she seems to be doing great.
Dianthus is due to lay her second egg tonight/tomorrow. She is sitting, but not incubating yet. Ive added a big dish of water to the cage for bathing, and added humidity.
The cage is full of cuddle bones, and mineral blocks, and im adding vitamins to the water bowl.
Everything is in place for hatching. Im just going to play wait and see.