• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Eggs and I am kind of worried

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sweet Pea is nesting in her box with 4 eggs 3 of those eggs are normal cockatiel size and there is the runt. yesterday morning she laid this runt of egg. it's so teeny tiny that it gets lost in her nest box.
IMG_0026.JPG
the runt is on the right.
IMG_0025.JPG

I have not seen her poop in 2 days, there is no poop in the nest box either. she has been out of the box very little since the box went in 4-21-16. I have not seen her eat enough to stick gnats belly button. Dr. Tony is not in the office today either. it's been a long time since I had laying bird and I have forgotten all the in's and out's to laying hen. Should I be worried? HELP

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We can't do much for you my dear other than the standard keep her nice and warm, hydrated and get her to the vet as soon as possible. That fourth egg is worrisome.

Is it still a good viable egg (shell) just small?

When was the last time she laid eggs and how many?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she has 4 eggs, I didn't candle the last tiny egg. the eggs are all infertile. She and Bebe are never ever out at the same time. she has been laying eggs off on since late March. it would 2 may be eggs then a stop for a couple of weeks then start up again. I had given her dummy eggs, but according to her they are for playing with only. she basically wanted nothing to do with dummy eggs. the house is warm and she has fresh water and food. I will candle that tiny egg shortly.
ETA: there is no yolk in that teeny tiny egg, it clear with no yellowish yolk in the center.

Last edited:

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
If the females lay eggs, do we have to provide nest boxes? Sweetpea lays every now and then I find an egg on the bottom of the cage.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
My Sweet Pea has been at this off and on since January. I got a set of dummy eggs but she just plays with them. batting them around the bottom of her cage. I talked to my vet and he said to give her box and let her go thru the nesting phase. about 30 days. it seems that reducing her light and not feeding soft food was not working. bombarding her with 24 hour light is last resort according to Dr. Tony.
NO you don't have to provide a nest box

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rockysmom, what is the reason for candling an egg it if you know it's infertile? Two days without pooping is alarming to me and if I were in your place I would be on my way to the AV. Hoping for the best.

If the females lay eggs, do we have to provide nest boxes? Sweetpea lays every now and then I find an egg on the bottom of the cage.
I never offered a nest box. When my hen lad eggs I did take the grate out and put fresh Kraft paper on the bottom of the tray along with food dishes. Every so often I would take my bird out of the cage so she could poop on her play stand area and stretch and move and such for a period of time. My vet has always been adamant that while you nurture the hen you don't encourage exclusion and darkness from normal daytime activity.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
John ask if it was viable, the only way to know what is in the egg is to candled it. sorry farm girl mentality. I changed her papers last night there was poop last night at paper change. none since the paper change. she did come out and eat some fresh seeds this AM after I removed soft foods, her favorite. my vet is not in until Weds because he worked the weekend.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've had those tiny no yolk eggs too. Usually the last egg in the clutch, which means , calcium is low, Time to up that calcium, watch her, as long as she's eating, pooping and hydrated, and,,,no more egg bum, then you could get her to the Doc on Wednesday
I get this at "Sprouts", my vet said it's ok, 1 teaspoon per cup of water,, everyday for eggie season. It cost about $15.00 a bottle.
IMG_20170424_130439.jpg .

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she finally pooped the size 3 half dollars stacked, holy moley. I will be adding calcium to her food and water. holy crips she is going to scare me half to death yet.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good news! It will make the wait until Wednesday easier. I also have to wait until tomorrow for my girl to be seen again so I share your anxiety (((hugs)))

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she laid another egg last night it's normal size.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I hope she will be OK. My tiel who used to be a chronic layer and who stopped for over 4 years has decide to lay again. We are up to 5 eggs now. :( She has ignored all of them - which is so unlike her. Usually she sits on them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I talked to Dr. Barb and Dr. Tony via conference call, this morning. the dummy eggs are back in her box. some times it takes them laying 4 to 5 eggs and then putting the dummies in. then keeping track of a month (30 day) and removing any other eggs from the box. we will see. she is back in the box snuggled down on the dummies. Please keep your finger toes and eyeballs crossed. I have weight her daily also, keep track of it, because she is not eating enough to keep a gnat alive. her soft foods are highlight of her day and she hasn't hardly eat even that.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Little stinker, let's hope there's no more eggs,, and she starts eating normally again.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Is her food in the nest area?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Do you have any cuttlebone (if she nibbles on that type of stuff)? I can send you some and I also have some calcium perches if you think she'd chew on them.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry Sweet Pea is going through all this. I know it's just nature taking it's course. I'm hoping for the best for you two :heart:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Do you have any cuttlebone (if she nibbles on that type of stuff)? I can send you some and I also have some calcium perches if you think she'd chew on them.
she has cuttlebone right outside of the nest box.
Little stinker, let's hope there's no more eggs,, and she starts eating normally again.
yup she is little stinker big time
Is her food in the nest area?
yes she has her nutriaberries, birdy crackers and millet right outside her nest box.