• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Egg laying help please!!

gonzobird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cathy
Bareyed very lethargic after laying 3 eggs in 10 days im concerned shes not eating unless i spoon feed her wont eat seed im cooking grains and giving eggs scrambled with shell just did that today and pedilyte her poops were huge before and after the eggs now they are seeming to go back to normal she is all puffed up and favoring the right leg i wonder if she is just exhausted she is 27 and never had eggs they told be she was a male well that was wrong i rescued her several months ago from an all seed diet but she was on a vitamin supplement and had oats eggs pasta salad and table food. Ive been giving her a buffet of healthy things since ive had her adn noe the eggs which probable started as she had an aaaabundance of food they rationed her before as she throws it out . I am not sure if she is eggbound shes not straining and has had 3 eggs already she just is all puffed up and sleeps alot for the last few days she laid the last egg about 5 days ago ie had birds lay eggs but never act like this making me thing it may be an underlying problem. I think she may need calcium and is hypoglycemic. today she is not interested in the eggs i was going to take them away but am afraid there may be another on the way iocant really feel anything maybe a small soft object but then she pooped on me so maybe that is what it was i tried to massage her belly last night very genetly and put a warm towel under her but no egg she doesnt look like my other birds when they laid they just plopped one out. The closest avian is 2-3 houras away and the other 2 local wont see you if your not a patient and only on certain days all the others are vets not for Birds I already lost my sulpher since moving here due to a vet that was not qualified and claimed they were an avian. Someone please let me know if this is normal egg laying behavior im so distressed

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Bumping this up

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Something is not right at all...I think she needs a vet.

Not eating, puffed, sleeping alot, favoring an leg etc needs to see a vet whether its an egg or not.

May have some pinched nerve from an egg...I don;t know if they always will strain but something is not right even if its not an egg.

Don't take the eggs away & get dummies if you can as you don't want to make her lay more.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I agree, you need to see a vet. If that requires calling up a vet and saying you are on the way but you are x-amount of hours out, then it's gotta be that. She could have a pinched nerve, could be calcium deficient or any other number of things. Keep her warm and fed, but do get her to a vet ASAP!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Calcium deficiency is my educated opinion, but I AM NOT A VET..are the eggs firm and well formed? Or are they abit translucent and softened? A hen that age would need calcium therapy, can you get to SPROUTS? They sell this..
20191005_203546.jpg
20191005_203518.jpg
You can give it orally, a bird her size,,,1 to 1.5 cc's, daily, for a couple weeks , or 1 teaspoon to 4 ounces of water, change twice, to three times a day..also you can put a few drops on her fresh foods, but do remove any uneaten fresh food after 2 hours. A call to your vet is in order,,maybe an underlying issue,,hope shed ok!

gonzobird

Real Name
Cathy
can i give her caltrate liquid i saw that yesterday i bought tablets ans was going to crush them but i wanst sure if citrate was ok thank you i will go now and get it

gonzobird

Real Name
Cathy
the eggs were perfect hard shells i think she is just depleted any other advice to boost her up im hand feeding her a graion assortment that i cooked she likes that warm and eggs shes not interested in seeds now s odd before she would et anything like a little piglet im also offering the nusual fruits and veggies twice a day seeds pellets nuts millet anything i cn gether to eat