• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg Bound?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
“It’s Not Easy Being Green” Project
The Importance of Wild Type Birds : The Disappearance of Green Lineolated Parakeet

My observation of avian breeders seems to show that when we see something that is popular or sells really well, we tend to concentrate on breeding those mutations and forget the roots of the species.
This happened with the normal green parrotlet many years ago. It became very difficult to find the wild type anywhere except in the wild. I see this happening to the Lineolated parakeet if precautions are not taken.
Preservation of any given species should be in the thoughts of all breeders. Normal green Lineolated Parakeets cannot be imported into our country, thus obtaining new stock is not an option. Keeping a strong line of green birds is important to the survival of linnies in this country. And when we compare some of the blue series birds that are being produced today we see the size is very much reduced. Many breeders are not breeding back to large green birds to keep the size up in their stock, rather opting for breeding blue series to blue series generation after generation.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Interesting!

Reactions: Jas

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think its very important to know what you are doing when breeding Linnies. That is why I posted the information about being green. Kudos to Linnie breeders that do this!