• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg Bound?

Stormy

Sitting on the front steps
I'm pretty sure my Sunny is wanting to lay and egg. For the last 2 days she has been staying in her sleeping hut. When I check her, her vulva, sorry don't know the correct terminology, is pulsing. How long do I let her go before getting her some help.

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
wait about... 2 more days in those 2 days you can start to look at people who could help, thank after 2-3 days you sould get her to a vet!!

Stormy

Thanks so much, I'll do that. She doesn't seem in distress. She is still moving bedding around, almost like she is still getting ready.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Cloaca is the term or vent that all materials pass through one opening. Provide her with extra calcium like cuttlebone, and monitor how many eggs she is laying and when, if she's egg bound she will need to be seen by an avian vet to help her pass the egg.

Provide her will lots of good food like veggies ( plenty of dark leafy greens) some sprouted seeds, pellets if she eats them etc.

Stormy

She eats all that stuff daily but ignores the cuttlebone. She has a regular avian vet, we are giving her till Friday afternoon to lay, if she hasn't then the vet is going to see her before closing. Vet doesn't want her to wait till Monday. Fingers crossed for today. I have moved her cage to my room where it's nice and quiet for her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes it helps to take a hen into the steamy bathroom for lots of moisture as this may ease passage of eggs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad he is ok. May be another in two days.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she passed the egg!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Yeyyyy, glad she passed the egg!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great news!

Stormy

Update on Sunny's progress.
She had laid a total of six eggs. She kicked the first one out, I'm assuming she knew it wasn't fertilized. We have 5 now. Should start hatching the end of Feb. if they are fertile. Sunny is looking pretty rough. Stormy is feeding her as well as her coming out to get some herself. I'm giving plenty of soft food as well as adding cooked egg and ground shell. Also a good selection of fresh veggies and fruit. I'm sure I will have some questions when and if they hatch.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She had laid a total of six eggs. She kicked the first one out, I'm assuming she knew it wasn't fertilized. We have 5 now. Should start hatching the end of Feb. if they are fertile. Sunny is looking pretty rough. Stormy is feeding her as well as her coming out to get some herself. I'm giving plenty of soft food as well as adding cooked egg and ground shell. Also a good selection of fresh veggies and fruit. I'm sure I will have some questions when and if they hatch.

What are you going to do with 5 chicks? And then next seasons 5 chicks?

What are you going to do if they don't know how to be parents?

What are you going to do if the father/mother rejects 1 or more chicks?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You’re doing all the right things. :) Exciting!

Stormy

What are you going to do with 5 chicks? And then next seasons 5 chicks?

What are you going to do if they don't know how to be parents?

What are you going to do if the father/mother rejects 1 or more chicks?
It's taken me a couple of days to figure how I should respond to your questions.

I joined this site understanding that it was a place were fellow bird owners could come for support and to learn from each other. I don't care for the implications of your questions. Are you trying to make me feel like an irresponsible pet owner? I'm sure you had a first experience with my situation. You could have offered suggestions on your questions, after all aren't we here to learn from each other. I know I'm not the only one here who would have benefitted from more positive, helpful comments.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm sure you had a first experience with my situation. You could have offered suggestions on your questions, after all aren't we here to learn from each other.
No I can't say that has ever happened. My common sense would have told me that I have no idea how handle just the few things I mentioned (there's way more) so I would never have let things get that far. (Would have replaced them with fakes as they were laid. You still can).

Breeding is not something we learn as we go. Simply because these are living creatures. You make a mistake and that bird pays the price.

I hope everything goes well for yours and the birds sake. Be prepared to step in because that is the most common scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
It's taken me a couple of days to figure how I should respond to your questions.

I joined this site understanding that it was a place were fellow bird owners could come for support and to learn from each other. I don't care for the implications of your questions. Are you trying to make me feel like an irresponsible pet owner? I'm sure you had a first experience with my situation. You could have offered suggestions on your questions, after all aren't we here to learn from each other. I know I'm not the only one here who would have benefitted from more positive, helpful comments.
So to offer suggestions if you don't want/can't afford/house/look after chicks you could replace the eggs with fake ones or boil the eggs before the parents incubate them.

Birds don't know how to be parents off the bat just like humans, so chicks may die by being pecked to death, rejected, starved, bullied etc. they may need help in feeding chicks and rejected chicks will starve.its difficult to hand feed and most kill chicks by suffocating them by incorrectly feeding them. You will need to be taught by an experienced breeder or an avian vet.

I'm not intending to be rude so please don't take it that way
:)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there, please just ignore @JLcribber . We let him hang around for entertainment purposes. His glass is half empty where breeding birds is concerned.

Here are some things you need to do, to prepare for the chicks (if they aren't here already). Get some pedialyte from the baby aisle in the grocery store, set it aside. You will use that if the babies need extra electrolytes, energy, or hydration. Also go to the pet store and get some powdered formula, which usually is Kaytee brand. I think your birds are parrotlets? Maybe? so you need a fairly small syringe (no needle) for feeding. These things are all "just in case" anything goes wrong. Also go on Youtube and watch carefully how someone feeds babies the same species as yours.

Now you're ready. Keep feeding mama and be sure she's got plenty of water around. My birds are smaller, they are finches but they like to feed their babies dry egg food along with the seed. You might get some at the pet store while you're there. You could also just supply boiled egg, make sure you don't let it spoil in the cage though.

If you are lucky, all the birds will be healthy, will get out of the shell with no problems, and the hen will feed them. Do not help anyone out of their shell!!! It is important that they do it on their own. If one looks weak or its crop doesn't get filled, use the pedialyte. If all go empty, you'll have to pull them and hand feed.

Hand feeding is always only a 50/50 chance. You may lose one or all.

Keep us informed, and keep asking questions!

In the future, to prevent breeding, remove nests and sleeping huts. They do not need them. When eggs are laid, throw them out. If she insists on nesting you can either boil the eggs and give them back to her, refrigerate and give them back, or replace each egg with a fake one. It is MUCH easier to simply not let them nest.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The World Linnie Society has been trying to keep the species fairly pure in the breeding. They strive and study genetics to have the breeding females raise only green chicks, as the original Lineolate Parakeets coloring was. I believe this is important to know for any future breeding you intend to do. This is the reason why some people find Linnies rather scares, or did find them scarce.

Reactions: Jas