• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

egg binding?

RAMONES1234

Moving in
I am very sad to relate this story, I have several parakeets and found two mating on Monday. I separated them into a small cage with each other and set up the breeder box. Gee, we will have our first babies, I thought. On Tuesday the hen seemed fine. They were cuddled on the perch together. Wednesday morning I found her dead. NO indication she was in any trouble, just gone, overnight. I feel so terrible, I read about the dangers of breeding and egg binding. I didn't know she could produce an egg so quickly. Or maybe it was something else. I don't know how old she was, she and another were given to me. I have taken in several unwanted keets.
Any ideas of what could have happened? She was very aggressive to the other birds on Sunday, I took a little female away from her, b/c she was attacking her.
Help from a novice...

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It might be egg binding, but it also may be many other issues (age, health, etc.). Birds are known to hide their illness so it's not out of the ordinary that you didn't see any warning signs. Should there be a next time, ask an avian vet to do a necropsy - impossible to know otherwise. I'm sorry for your loss.