• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Education???

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
All,

As some of you may know, I recently only began having an interest in companion parrots. In only a few months it has grown to nothing short of an obsession (lets just say). I am in the process of getting my house, along with myself and my family ready to accept a bird into our lives. I have fallen in love with GCC's, so I am fairly certain we will have one in the near future...

Now to the topic of this thread. Can anyone point me in the direction of some educational information on parrots? It does not necessarily have to be GCC specific. I am very interested in learning aviculture, but I can't seem to find much of anything as far as good online courses to take. I want to learn everything, as far as training, diets, behavior, breeding, etc... If it has to do with parrots I want to learn it. Books aren't really my thing. Yes I will read them but I don't retain the information as much as I would with an online course that it broken down into categories.

I'm hoping to learn as much as I can, as I am looking for a career change. They say if you love your job you'll never work a day in your life. I'm developing a deep love for parrots so I feel this is the right way to go for a new career.

Thank you so much in advance for all of your help!

P.S. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section

:gcc1::gcc:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Last edited:

Flockmomma79

Moving in
Real Name
Leigh Ann Pierce
Not sure if these are what you're looking for or not, but here are a few online options that I am aware of.
The Animal Behavior Center is an Educational Center

AFA Fundamentals of Aviculture

You are being redirected...

Hope this helps! I have personally done an online lecture with Barbara Heindenreich, which was fun. And I was in Lara Joseph's Parrot Project online thru her center, but I found that wasn't what I needed at the time, so I quit. She teaches Applied Behavioral Analysis, which is an excellent way to observe, interact, and teach your bird, any animal, pet or person! They use it with great success with autistic children & adults.
For basic husbandry, the AFA site & Gabriel Foundation sites have those type of courses.
Another option is, if you live near a bird rescue, contact them and tell them what you want to learn. I know the rescue I adopted my M2 from would be ecstatic to have someone ask to learn BEFORE they went and got a bird! She would welcome you to come and learn hands on all you wanted!