• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Eddie had a night fright!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
:omg: I woke up at 4am to the sound of Eddie thrashing about and peeping quite distressingly. I immediately turned on the light and my poor little boy was running around the bottom of his cage in a terror. I opened the cage door and coaxed him out, and let him sit with me while I checked him over and rubbed his head. I was worried that he might have broken a feather, but I couldn't see any blood on him (only a little bruise/bump on his face just in front of his eye. It looked like there was a bit of blood, but it was minor. I know I've heard of parrots letting go of their tail feathers when they are distressed. But Eddie let go of all of his flight feathers! Every single primary feather was at the bottom of the cage--it is if he had an instantaneous moult and lost all of the feathers all at once. It is terrible! He looks like he has little penguin wings. After he had calmed down and I was sure he was okay, I put him back into his cage and left a light on for him for the rest of the night. He seemed tired and out of sorts this morning. I checked the bottom of the cage this morning and finally find a broken flight feather. So my theory is that he broke the feather shaft and then shed all of his feathers to get the growing feather out of his skin. I can't see any blood or bloody shaft, but I'm still worried about him. I gave him some Harrison's recovery formula this morning, but I had a really busy day at work today, so he's at home and I am stuck here worrying about him. Should I take him to the vet? I'm so worried about my baby. I piled all of his feathers up today--there are a LOT of them. It's a horrible sight. Any advice would be appreciated. My poor baby boy!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:omg: Meagan. I don't know anything about this but poor baby! :hug8:

How is this even possible!:confused:

ThatDarnBird

This happened to my Tiel Sam. I didn't even know anything was wrong and when I uncovered the cage in the morning there were feathers everywhere, all the flights and some tail, plus smeared blood but not as much as you would expect. I felt really bad for her but she was fine. I hope Eddie will be fine too.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Eddie should be ok..but it couldnt hurt to have a vet check just in case..when in doubt, off you go...

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
If it will make you feel better I say go to your vet

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
:omg: I didn't know that could happen to a parrot. Learn something new all the time. Please keep us posted on Eddie!!!!!!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Also keep Eddie warm, probably really achy

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
Night frights are very common in tiels, not so much in other species I have read. It is in fact what brought me to bird boards a few years ago. Angel had lost ALL flight feathers on both sides and went from fully flighted to falling like a brick. I had NO idea and thought it some rare fast disease. I had stupidly put a small play gym on the floor of the cage thinking that would give her enjoyment playing on. She fell on and into it, thrashing around and also had abrasions under both wings.
With night frights some covered birds prefer to be uncovered, others,the opposite applies. Adding a night light seems also to help tremendously as when dazed after the fright they can see around them. Eliminating shadows (eg if near a window move further away.) as much as possible helps too.
Angel (and the others) are now never covered, have a night light and when I am coming to the kitchen in the night I softly tell them it is me. The frights she used to have have decreased dramatically in number and intensity. Now she (and it also sets the others off) just falls from her perch sqarking, looks around, shakes off the brain fog a bit as she can see where she is and climbs back up to roost. If I am there for a fright I do not touch her I just talk calmly as she orientates herself and settles.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Could there have been a mouse in the room? They can release their flights like that but it is usually if something has a hold of them. Did you see anything unusual in the cage?

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
IMO the vet is not needed if all seems well, no blood, no other physical changes in stance, demeanour, poop. Quiet recovery at home should be ok, unless there is some way to check for possible seizures if it happens again maybe. I don't wish to scare you unnecessarily. Angel was so despondent for a couple of months till she could fly again. To this day (this happened over 2 years ago) she still climbs down the back of the chair to me instead of flying but is very confident flying around.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh poor baby. How scary, keep an eye on him and if he still seems out of sorts I would take him in for a check up.

Ginger

ba-b4

Meeting neighbors
Yes make sure there's not a mouse in his cage as that might be a cause. As for night frights.. my uncles' tiel died from fright during a thunder/lightning storm overnight. All the noise must have been too much for it.

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
Thanks, everyone! I'm home from work now and Eddie is doing alright. He's pretty quiet, obviously, and limping a bit. Poor guy. I feel so bad for him! I've turned the heat up in my bedroom, so he's got a nice warm place. I'm worried about him not eating, and I'm almost out of recovery formula:( I'll keep you posted. If he's not perking up by tomorrow, I'll call the vet.

You guys are the best:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.