• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus with other species?

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
Hello! I have a U2 girl that is the sweetest, most cuddly, friendly and gentle bird ever :) I've been thinking about getting her some companion so she isn't alone and lonely when I'm at work.
Male U2 is out of competition because of their agression towards females. A lot of parronts suggested a male ekkie as they tend to be very easy going and good with other species. Since my Lucy is a very small U2, there wouldn't be even much size difference to worry about.
Right now my friend has a chick, currently almost a month old (so there's still some time to think and make a decision) up for future adoption. His father is extremely sweet and has history of adopting and feeding a lot of fostered chicks of different species. The chick is being raised with both humans and a big mixed species flock, so he's going to be well accustomed with a lot of parrots including toos.

What is your experience with keeping male ekkies with different species?
And second question - I have a double cage that can be split in half with a divider grill, 2x2x1m. Do you think they could share the cage, with or without the divider?

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
I'm not sure about the dander with the U2 and the ekkie.
It's only the case with New World parrots, mostly macaws. Old World parrots are generally unaffected; ekkies and toos come from the same region of the world so they're both genetically hard-wired to be able to deal with dusty environment.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
It's only the case with New World parrots, mostly macaws. Old World parrots are generally unaffected; ekkies and toos come from the same region of the world so they're both genetically hard-wired to be able to deal with dusty environment.
That is so good to know. Thanks.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have two male Ekkies and Cockatoos and greys. I find my male Ekkies to be very easy going and accepting of most other species so I don't really see why not, especially if the Ekkie is being raised with other species from the get go and he's coming into the relationship as a baby. How old is your U2? How do you think she will handle another bird? Sometimes only birds have been only birds for so long that they don't realize that they are birds and then tend to not want to associate with other birds. My thought has always been that birds are flock creatures and regardless of the type of bird you bring home, they tend to enjoy the company regardless of the species. I don't know that I would put them in the same cage together, even with a divider unless you can find a piece of plexiglass to protect toes but I definitely think that it's doable.