• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Sinus Allergies & Narrow Nare Passages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
That's kind of a long title, huh? :)

I just wanted to share my experience with my eclectus regarding allergies & "sneezing", as I'm sure it will help someone using the search function someday.

I just got back from the vet this morning after taking my 8 year old female red sided Eclectus in for a check up. I'm very paranoid about respiratory infections and aspergillis, as I lost a baby male eclectus years ago from that and never really got over it. The same thing later attacked a cockatoo of mine, and she thankfully survived.

Anyways, the last time I had taken "Lady Bird" to the vet they said she was a little on the slender side. If she lost any more weight, they would become worried. So naturally I wanted her to go back a few months later and check out her weight and trim her beak...but I also noticed an increase in her clearing her nares, AKA Sneezing.

Of course, there was no discharge but the fairly frequent noise bothered me.

Thankfully, I am just a worry wart. This time I got to have her examined by the senior avian vet in the office, who I trust very much. He told me not to worry too much about aspergillis, as that is usually going to cause more congestion in the chest than the nares. Since her respiratory rate was good, her recovery from the stress of being "probed", and she had no mucus.....that's clearly not the issue.

He said that he has noticed both eclectus and macaws seem to frequently have nasal allergies, such as a reaction to hay etc.

Also, like cockatoos, some eclectus are born with smaller "slits" in their nasal passages. I also have a umbrella cockatoo that wheezes because of his tiny nares. :) Since they have such small nares, they get blocked easily from dust or whatever and then frequently "sneeze" to clear them temporarily.

So, the good news is.....no worries. If your eclectus is clearing their nares, and there is no discharge, your chances are pretty good they are still healthy. However, still get them looked at to determine that it's in the nares and not the chest.

( P.S. Lady bird came in at 450 grams today, which he feels is actually a healthier weight than what she came into the office for the first time at a year ago. If she gets down to 420, then we will get a blood panel. She gets rechecked in September. )

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi, Zeb--I'm glad you brought this up. Aspergillus is something I'm worried about, now. Ever since reading about Alex the Grey's encounter with it, it is right up there with PDD & PBFD in my paranoia nightmares. It has been a very, very wet spring here in Ohio, & a few weeks ago I noticed a moldy smell in a part of our house, the same place as a while ago (~10 yrs) I called 2 different roofing companies to check for leaks, & both stood in the driveway & said, 'nope, no problem' & left:eek: I don't see my avian vet for a while, so I'll ask you--are the smells indicative of mold that could lead to aspergillus to the best of your knowledge? Can it be tested for,ie swab of wall? Is there any test the vet can do to check the bird BEFORE symptoms appear? I'm airing out the house as best I can. Any measures I can take to reduce risks? Any advise you or anybody else can offer? Thank you. I'm so glad Lady Bird is OK!

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
My amazon has allergies, we use benedryl for children as needed. He seems to have problems only during the wet warm summer months. Once fall is here, he clears up. This has happened for the last 3 summers, last year was dryer than most, symptons were less.

Have you thought of a dehumidifier in the damp portions of the house. A air cleaner may help your situation. (just maker sure the filters are kept clean).

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Hi, Zeb--I'm glad you brought this up. Aspergillus is something I'm worried about, now. Ever since reading about Alex the Grey's encounter with it, it is right up there with PDD & PBFD in my paranoia nightmares. It has been a very, very wet spring here in Ohio, & a few weeks ago I noticed a moldy smell in a part of our house, the same place as a while ago (~10 yrs) I called 2 different roofing companies to check for leaks, & both stood in the driveway & said, 'nope, no problem' & left:eek: I don't see my avian vet for a while, so I'll ask you--are the smells indicative of mold that could lead to aspergillus to the best of your knowledge? Can it be tested for,ie swab of wall? Is there any test the vet can do to check the bird BEFORE symptoms appear? I'm airing out the house as best I can. Any measures I can take to reduce risks? Any advise you or anybody else can offer? Thank you. I'm so glad Lady Bird is OK!
I wouldn't think that smell would be very helpful in regards to aspergillus. When I had the problem, it was with a 6 month old male eclectus. He had respiratory problems within 30 days of me having him, and the vet said it takes a long time to "set up shop". So it couldn't have been something he picked up in his short time with me. I will say the conditions he came from were filthy. That's a long story, though.

The other time I had it was with a really neurotic female cockatoo. I had her for a few years when she came down with it, and no other birds had problems. The vet thought that maybe her "stressed" personality helped lower her immune system, and thankfully with treatment she recovered in just 2 or 3 weeks. ( That bird was just....crazy. He former home made her very very neurotic. )

One thing I am careful of now is to not use the same rag/sponge etc on different cages. Each cage gets a clean ( or sanitized ) towel when I change paper.

Barb E

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Well, here you go - almost a year later I did a search for nasal congestion for my macaw and your post has helped me!!!
My B&G, Ollie gets nasal congestion from time to time and I worry - also about Asper. He actually developed a nasal infection last fall. Ollie DOESN'T sneeze. I don't think I've ever heard him sneeze. My GW macaw and meyers do but not Ollie.

Did your vet recommend anything you can use to help with the congestion?
My vet suggested Benadryl but I was hoping for something I could put into his nose rather than orally.

Thanks, Barb

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Both my Ekkies have allergies, and I just have HEPA filters in the house, which helps a lot. I also make sure the humidity in the house stays around 55%, which also helps. Beyond that, I kind of just let them have their little seasonal allergy fits (they get one every spring around this time for a few weeks, and they're in the midst of it now) and move on. But that's just me. Giving Benadryl is fine, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.