• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Screaming

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
Screaming Birds are usually caused by an underlying problem which is triggering stress in the bird. These triggers include. Illness therefore rule out a possible illness by having your bird examined by an Avian veterinarian. Nutritional problems from an inadequate diet. The bird may change the amount of vocalization or other behaviours because of a poor diet. A change in the flock makeup, such as a new flock member or the loss of a flock member. Loneliness, frustration, fear, boredom or Jealously. A change in the bird’s environment, such as a move to a new home or a new flock. Inadequate sleep due to cage location, household noise (e.g., TV), too much light, or people moving around the house.

Screaming is normal behaviour for a parrot and it’s not possible to eliminate the screaming and loud squawking altogether, but aim to reduce the screaming to a tolerable level. This can be achieved with gentle patience and consistency among all flock members. Start to rehabilitate the parrot by making sure her basic needs are being met. The triggers of the screaming could be identified and eliminated by keeping a diary of all screaming episodes. Included the time, day of the week, what is happening at the time, the moods of the people and the bird before, during, and after the episode. With this information, the triggers can hopefully be identified and addressed.

“What should I do when the bird screams?" and "What should I do when the bird is behaving properly?" are the questions you need to ask yourself.

you don’t want to inadvertently reinforce Bad behaviour, for this can make the problem worse. Look at this from the parrot's perspective, getting any attention, may be a reward and will like you to yell back since they love drama and the yelling becomes a reward. Negative punishment will only increase the stress on the bird and either make the screaming worse, or the bird will turn to another unacceptable behaviour such as feather plucking or biting.

Positive reinforcement is the best way to correct a bird's behaviour. When she behaves correctly reward her with something good. This could be a special toy, a food treat, and verbal praise. Don’t use them to bribe the bird into better behaviour. These are rewards

At times, in certain circumstances the bird will exhibit bad behaviour So it’s very important to determine what “behaviour” you want the bird to do instead. By teaching the bird to talk or sing instead of screaming you’re replacing a negative behaviour with a positive one and you reward the positive behaviour and don’t reward in any way “bad Behaviour” Therefore understanding why the bird is screaming is important. You can adjust your actions depending on the circumstances.

Remember, parrots use vocalizations as warnings and as ways to find the rest of the flock when separated from it. Screaming can often be prevented from starting by simply answering the parrot when she calls to you, and letting the bird know when you are leaving and have returned. The screaming of parrots can often be resolved or minimized. But will take time and could require help from an experienced avian behaviourist, but if it allows the bird to stay in the house, it is worth it.

Ideally Short daily training sessions should begin when the bird is first brought home. Parrots respond well to facial expressions and verbal praise. This type of positive reinforcement should be used only when the appropriate response is given by the bird and no rewards given for incorrect responses There is no aggression or punishment is involved in this training.
Hello @Shinobi - Thank you for your lengthy posts and explanations. Illness is ruled out at this point she had a healthy Avian Vet Visit ~2 weeks ago. Nutritional is the avenue I think we're working on the most right now. She was weaned onto an ONLY seed diet. Since she's been here with me, I've successfully gotten her to TRY many fruits, and a a few vegetables. I also made a 7 ingredient veggie chop mix for her, but she is not interested in it much yet... The consensus appears to be she is HUNGRY, so As of today upping her feeding amounts to see if that makes any change.

Behavior issues started 2 days after a visiting family member (who'd been here a full week) went back home and I made some food changes that same day as well. So the inciting event is unclear - but it appears a regression in feeding was reactivated somehow. Her cage location affords her a nice balance of outside noise and relatively quiet indoor environment for the majority of the day.

LOG OF SCREAMING = Everyday for the past 20 days rain or shine.... pretty much every time I come into view and oddly particularly when either husband and I are in the kitchen doing (anything). She stops exactly as soon as she knows I am Away... As in, have left (and my husband remains), or if I am in my work office several rooms away.

As for +/- reinforcement, I am very familiar, and have very successfully trained a GCC in the past... However, it is VERY difficult to reward good (quiet) behavior with Poppy specifically, as typically even if she becomes quiet, at the point i get up to give her a treat, she immediately begins screaming again, before I can even get the treat to her beak. THAT is really how consistent the screaming is in my presence, that she will not remain quiet long enough for me to give her a treat. Frustrating is when I am sitting not he couch, she becomes quiet for an extended period of time, (10-15 mins) and I get up to reward her only to have her start again as soon as I get up from the couch, or begin to reach for a seed.....Additionally I've tried to switch to verbal praise, to which i get a LOUD screaming response back... I laugh and cry at the same time lol.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Unfortunately illness is absolutely not ruled out at this point. There could be changes in her blood chemistry or blood count that you can't see on a physical exam

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe that she has regressed and is asking you for food. This is why she is screaming every time she sees you and stops screaming when you're out of sight. because she thinks you're gone. but when you come back into view or call out, she will start to call out to be fed.

I would start feeding her warm mashed sweet potato and pumpkin in the morning until she is full. then leave out some pellets for her during the day and then for dinner feed her warm sweet potato and pumpkin mash again and leave some chop out afterwards.

Henry our male Eclectus was still eating warm sweet potato and pumpkin mash until he was 8 to 9 months old. He made the same scream until we fed him. We had to also teach him to hold his food with a foot.

Does your Avian vet feels that it's not necessary to have further tests at this point?

PS your bird wasn't really screaming loud in that video. When Angel or Henry scream loud, you would think your ears are going to bleed and your eyes are going to explode.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I believe that she has regressed and is asking you for food. This is why she is screaming every time she sees you and stops screaming when you're out of sight. because she thinks you're gone. but when you come back into view or call out, she will start to call out to be fed.

I would start feeding her warm mashed sweet potato and pumpkin in the morning until she is full. then leave out some pellets for her during the day and then for dinner feed her warm sweet potato and pumpkin mash again and leave some chop out afterwards.

Henry our male Eclectus was still eating warm sweet potato and pumpkin mash until he was 8 to 9 months old. He made the same scream until we fed him. We had to also teach him to hold his food with a foot.

Does your Avian vet feels that it's not necessary to have further tests at this point?

PS your bird wasn't really screaming loud in that video. When Angel or Henry scream loud, you would think your ears are going to bleed and your eyes are going to explode.
Yes you're right, she wasn't Really screaming loud in most of the videos I've taken of her, because she reserves her loudest at times I'm actually doing stuff... IE cooking in the kitchen, feeding my dogs, or about to put the dogs in the garage, etc... It can get, very painful to the ear drum. Re the mash suggestion- I'm holding out on warm feedings as a VERY VERY last resort, possibly AFTER a behaviorist consult if this continues for much longer.This is because i think that is what may have started this behavior in the first place (feeding warm bean mix) which I began doing on Tuesday (and she began screaming on Thursday) of the same week. I'm attempting to refrain from teaching her that screaming will get her a positive reward. At this point I've added extra fruit/veggie, extra chop, and a teaspoon of extra seed as well. As of yesterday morning also gave 2 tablespoons of Harrison's pellets to her diet. I definitely don't want her Hungry but I also don't want to encourage the idea that screaming = hand feeding. Because I feel this will simply reinforce the unwanted behavior and prolong it even further.

As a positive update - I did notice SOME improvement yesterday night. Husband had to work a double shift so I had a lot more time with Poppy than usual which typically would've meant endless screaming. However, I had a visitor in the afternoon and the whole time the other person was here--- she didn't make a peep, despite us being in the living room the entire time. I even joked with the person I might need her to come back if the bird started to scream at me as soon as she left LOL. Which for the record, she did :-/ . . . But overall, i did notice her longer pauses between screams (which i rewarded with treats), and last night her screaming only went on for about 20mins before she decided to stop. She would still start up every time I moved from the couch, got up, or moved around in the kitchen - But it was a noticeable improvement from how she's been the last couple of weeks. I hope it continues in this direction.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
Amaan and EsJ87, How the screaming?
Thanks for your follow up! Unfortunately - I couldn't tell you. I went out of town for the long weekend and dropped her off at Boarding on Friday afternoon.
I am picking her up later this evening. . . I hope no rude surprises awaken me :( --- Will update once she is back home for a day or two.

kodycordua

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kody
Thanks for your follow up! Unfortunately - I couldn't tell you. I went out of town for the long weekend and dropped her off at Boarding on Friday afternoon.
I am picking her up later this evening. . . I hope no rude surprises awaken me :( --- Will update once she is back home for a day or two.
I am having the same problem, please let me know howbthis all worked out!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am having the same problem, please let me know howbthis all worked out!!
This member has not logged on to the forum in more than three years, so you will not receive a reply from her.

EccieK

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
EkkieK
Doesn't the seed thing seem weird? And supplements? I think Eclectus 101 says that aint so
The key is too get rid of seed altogether. Its all loaded with extra vitamins that Ekkies do not do well with. You must make a very good chop and freeze it. Sprouted Mung beans are awesome! Sprouted chic peas and sprouted black eyed peas. Then I add fresh fruit. I have noticed hes less screachy and not as agressive off the seed. It sucks because they love to eat seed. Youve really got to use it as just a treat. If anyone is interested in the recipe I can post it.

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
At the recommendation of this thread I went in and picked up some varied greens - I made a chop which had Spinach, Dandelion greens, Kale, Red/Orange/Yellow Bell Pepper and Carrot. The ingredients made 1/4 cup portions to last for 1 daily feeding until June 9th. I split the chop into baggies to freeze, each containing ~3 days worth. I'll probably add other random other ingredients as I make them for our own meals (zucchini, sweet potato, etc).She appears to be very curious and has dunked her head in the bowl a very times, unsure if she's tried it yet. Will keep y'all posted.
The screaming continues.... lol

Here is what it looks like!
Instagram

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Hi!
I was just wondering if you ever solved the issue? My girl is doing the same thing. She is quiet until I talk to her than it’s squak squak squak. If I leave the room she is quiet. Not sure what going on?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi!
I was just wondering if you ever solved the issue? My girl is doing the same thing. She is quiet until I talk to her than it’s squak squak squak. If I leave the room she is quiet. Not sure what going on?
I don’t think you’ll get a reply from that member…. They haven’t been on here since 2017.