• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus screaming - please help!

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Please correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that just train a bird to scream for you to run in and take him out to do tricks? How about doing tricks with treats when he is quiet?
How do we get inside their little minds??

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What we are trying to do is change the behavior while he is screaming ....So this bird is screaming no matter if the person is there in the room or not ..if I read it right ...so to break the pattern I would try to get the bird to focus on saying anything other then screaming ..doing anything other then screaming ...and your right not just when the bird is screaming but all the time ...but if the bird is screaming and your right beside it ...and you have taught it to turn around ...have it turn around for treats instead of scream ...if you have taught the bird to say pretty bird have it say pretty bird for treats instead of scream ....they will learn to do things for treats instead of scream and they will learn to say things for treats instead of scream ...but it will take work and time :)

scarlettD

Moving in
KatherinesBirds and Tyrion, thank you for offering more advice and suggestions! I can certainly use them. I read that eclectus, if taught to talk early on, usually do not develop the annoying habit of screaming and screeching all the time. With his former owner, our bird was housed in a "bird room" with a blue & gold macaw and a couple of other large birds, and I do wonder if that's where he picked up this habit of screaming. We do not really have the option of putting his cage in a separate room when he screams, as the downstairs of our house has an open floor plan, with kitchen, dining and living room all open to one another. Our eclectus is housed in the middle of the family area, so he is always with us when we are home. I think it would be too difficult to move his large cage upstairs during each evening screaming session. And Tyrion, you are correct that he screams whether people are in the room or not. He is at his absolute worst when I am cooking dinner each evening, which makes it difficult to train him at the same time; however, I agree that distracting him during his peak screaming times is likely our best option for changing his behavior. I might need to save his treat kabobs and other special treats for distracting him during the late afternoon and evening hours.