• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus falling

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
I brought home a male eclectus yesterday he is in his 20s.
I planing to call my vet thing tomorrow morning to see if I can get him in.

I’m a little worried about him so I wanted to go on here to get some advice. When he perch on anything or your hand if he moves a little he falls off. The old owner chip his wings and before I brought him home she checked them.
So she only would clip one wing every time could that be why he’s falling off everything?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Clipping only one wing can definitely put him off balance, but it’s good you are taking him in for a check up. Is his grip feel firm? I hope he is okay!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's his diet like? My rescue Jardines falls off perches due to being weak from malnourishment.

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
What's his diet like? My rescue Jardines falls off perches due to being weak from malnourishment.
She been giving him fruit and vegetables over the years but with the last year old she only give him a seed mix.

He’s been eating all the food I’ve been giving him mostly vegetables and one fruit.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing you want to do is check that leg band. Is it too tight? Has it rubbed a sore on the bird's leg? My personal belief is to get a leg band removed as soon as possible - there are so many things that can go wrong with one, like it getting caught on something and the bird injuring itself. Be sure you keep the leg band.

Make sure you go over the bird's diet with the Dr. and make sure the Dr. does at least a throat and anal swab, CBC and Chem panel. These three tests will tell you if your bird is healthy or if it has something bad going on. A little expensive, but not recognizing an illness and it getting worse can be much more expensive. Ask your Dr. if he thinks the bird might have arthritis - my Jasper has severe arthritis in both feet and legs and has had it since she was 6 years old.

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
I did check the leg band this morning it looks to tight. I’m taking him to vet this afternoon for check up. I’m planning on get the band removed.
Thank you Hankmacaw!
I will get all the tests done.What do you do for arthritis in parrots?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You give them pain medication. My Jasper has such severe arthritis that she has had two toes on one foot amputated due to pain. Some of the pain meds used for arthritis are Metacam, Tramadol, Celebrex, Gabapentin, SAMe, CBE. Jasper started out on Metacam, but after 10 years the Dr. switched her because of pear of damage to the kidneys. As time goes on more and safer drugs will be developed.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hopefully it’s just because of the band, and he’ll be okay!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depending on the fruits and vegetables given and the fact that only seeds were given the last year he could certainly be deficient. Do you know if he got access to unfiltered sunlight over the years?

For arthritis you can also give foods that are known to help. Arthritis Diet | Arthritis-Friendly Diet | Foods for Arthritis

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tart cherry juice can be beneficial in reducing the inflammation and pain from arthritis.
Hope all will be well with your Eclectus.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Loofa was prescribed thistle seed milk and absolutely NO nuts (not that she was getting any). I also give her thistle seeds which I think I got @Danita.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
How did the vet go?
If you want help with him there is a private group on facebook that deals with Eclectus specifically. The lady who runs it is extremely knowledgeable about diet and care. If you need help please contact me and I will let her know.