• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus around newborns

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey, was hoping some of you can share some stories about your eckies around newborn babies.

My boy is almost 2 and we are due in December. I have been warned he will get jealous and potentially attack baby. It was also suggeste that as i will be busy with baby he will go off me and only like my husband. Additionally the stress of baby crying will make him scream more and its been suggested ill throw him outside.

Echo has never shown a jealous bone in his body. He spends equal time with all of us. I handle him the most, but he will still hang out with hubby and the dog. He also loves watching children yell and play when we are out.

Who has seen their eckie around babies?
Has anyones non jealous eckie turned jealous over a baby? Any information on how they react or cope with babies crying etc would be greatly appreciated.

Want to maybe start thinking about it early so we continue to be a happy household. No way is echo going out or being banned from being around our baby. Supervised yes...until trust is established and everyone is comfortable.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would assume if you took the same precautions as you would with a free roaming pet dog or cat and a newborn that all should be fine. You can never tell how any pet/ member of the family will react once a new baby arrives, all involved will have an adjustment period.
Don't worry about what others have suggested will happen, you will always find people who want to predict how things will turn out, I usually find those people are hoping for the outcome they have suggested will happen. As for the suggestion that a crying baby will make your bird scream.....that may happen but your bird may also choose to copy the crying baby and then join in! Anything is a possibility really. You will juggle things as best you can and learn how much baby time your bird will be happy to put up with and you will make adjustments accordingly for both the bird and you.
I am sure things will work out fine as long as you are open and ready for changes and compromises.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just an update to an old post.

Our baby boy arrived.

Echo has been amazing. Hes picked up on how important bubs is to me. I'm really surprised that hes very slow and gentle around him. He knows the baby is mine and while being very curious he reads me very closely when he wants to touch him. Of course I tell him 'no' at this stage so echo just doesn't proceed and continues to watch him. The respect and understanding Echo is giving is truly amazing. He will come and sit on my shoulder while I breastfeed or entertain me on the couch while I'm feeding. He even supervises nappy changes but all from a safe distance. It's very cute. He loves riding on the pram. Has a massive fascination with the baby's washing and the steriliser for some reason.

I'm really surprised as I was told he would go off me and favour my hubby. I was also told he could get jealous and attack. While I will always be careful, I am very proud of my lil green chickens acceptance of his lil human brother. He hasn't copied his crying but instead tries to be extra funny. He doesn't appear to be stressed by him at all.

He has always done several continuous laps in our open plan house. This would always have some loud excited screeching. Sometimes he'd clip you with his wings on purpose while screeching. The screeching unfortunately wakes baby up. So I've been telling him to be quiet. Well he now does silent laps and lands on his rope toy saying 'good?, is it good??' And of course I tell him 'yes echo is good. Very good. Such a good boy for being quiet. Thank you.'

Gosh these guys are amazing. I know there will be things in future to work through, but I'm just so proud of how easy going and accepting hes been. Wish I could train the husband as easily.

Here are some pics.

20181217_221854.jpg 20181217_141520.jpg 20181219_144154.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What excellent news. I am so happy for you that there are no issues between bird and bub :)

Congratulations!!

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I really hate the insinuation that when people have babies, they will just toss their animals to the side. As if you some how love your fids less now because there's another soul for you to love.

As for the screeching waking the baby, you'd be surprised at how much they adjust. There's a bird only pet shop I go to and the owners bring in their baby in almost everyday. That baby could sleep through macaw and baby sun conure screeching no problem. I asked the owner if any of her other kids had a problem when they were babies and she said 'not after the first couple of months.'

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I really hate the insinuation that when people have babies, they will just toss their animals to the side. As if you some how love your fids less now because there's another soul for you to love.

As for the screeching waking the baby, you'd be surprised at how much they adjust. There's a bird only pet shop I go to and the owners bring in their baby in almost everyday. That baby could sleep through macaw and baby sun conure screeching no problem. I asked the owner if any of her other kids had a problem when they were babies and she said 'not after the first couple of months.'
Yeah the tossing of any animal aside just cos of newborn is ridiculous. I understand animal haters saying 'oh the baby comes and you will throw the bird outside" as they have no ability to see them as a family members. But its strange though an animal lover even making these assumptions. Recently a dog lover visited us and I needed her full attention for a discussion so I put our dog out with a bone so she wasnt distracted. Anyway they went and told everyone we know how the new baby (bird) has taken priority and the dog was thrown outside neglected.