• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Alarm Call and Fearful Behavior?

Dannflor

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dan
Hi Everyone,

I'm reaching out to you guys in the hope you might be able to help me with some recent behavior of my Eclectus hen, Papaya. She's about 8mo old and has always been an exceedingly well tamed, gentle, sweet bird who loves being around people and spending time investigating absolutely everything.

Earlier today, she suddenly gave out this panicked alarm call (one I hadn't hear since I last took her to the vet and she was being held in a towel so the vet doing a general health check could check her vent, crop, and stomach feathers) which lasted for a solid 10 seconds or so. When I went to try and help calm her and see what was wrong, she bit me when I put my hand in to get her (something she hasn't done since she was about 6mo), and moved away from me. It only took like 2 minutes for her to calm down enough to step up onto my hand, but her body posture on my hand and after I set her down on one of her play areas was all hunched forward, feathers fluffed out, and very still.

I've never experienced anything like this before with any birds that I've had, although she's my first eclectus, and I was hoping someone here might be able to help a bit. She is currently going through her first molt, which may be an influential factor, but I'm not certain.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
In my experience, Ekkies are not quiet birds and can have a heck of a screech to them when they are calling to their flock or when they are upset about something. My first Ekkie was fairly quiet but when I introduced his brother to the mix when they were a little more than one, they got really loud whenever they weren't happy about something. I lost the younger one to E coli at about five years of age but had the chance to add another biological brother to the fold about six months later. Wylee has been with us ever since and they are like two peas in a pod. They are generally quiet when together but I don't dare separate them or they will scream bloody murder. I hope others will chime in here, but the secret in my house is definitely two!:) I have two males and it does the trick nicely but I know there are others here who have male/female pairs. My two just turned 15 and 12 last year.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
It sounds as if she has had a fright. Seen something you haven't and was spooked. Can she see outside? Was she fluffed up or did she have her hackles raised. My 4 yo girl does the same when she sees a shadow, a bird outside or she wants to know where we are. She alerts her flock, me. Was it a proper bite or was she being rough trying to push you away , do you think. It sounds to me as if she was on full alert and pushing you away so she could be in control, hence moving away to let you know she was on guard. I hope she is settled now. At eight months she is still unsure of herself so you may have to do some detective work . :)