• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Eckie coming to visit!!!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So I talked with Lada's parront today and she is finally going to let Lada come stay with me! At least that's the plan. I am going to go by tomorrow morning to pick her up. I'm very excited! Looking forward to some real time with a larger species instead of just visiting, viewing at a bird show, watching online. This is the experience I have really been looking forward to before deciding to jump in head first. Will update this post tomorrow once Lada is settled in her new temporary home. I'll upload some pictures and or video too.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That is exciting!
Please keep us posted!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How exciting, I hope everything goes well!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So exciting. Good luck.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
She's actually here! She is molting right now so she has a little patch on her head. The day started out great. As the day progressed, she didn't want to come out of her cage and was getting a little warning nippy so I let her mellow out. By bed time it felt like she hated me :( I know tomorrow will be a fresh start. I'm sure it was stressful for her today moving to a new home. Willing to bet she just needs some time to adjust to the new environment. Hopefully she will warm up to me soon and be a little snuggle bug.

IMG_20170917_105740.jpg

We match today! I even have blue shorts on. She coordinated it :)
IMG_20170917_134032.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's pretty! Is she quarantined from the finches?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Looks like you are enjoying the visit!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Is she quarantined from the finches?
Yes she is, although technically we don't think there is anything to worry about as they both came from clean homes and have not been showing any sign of sickness. I have still put her in a different room for now though just in case.

Looks like you are enjoying the visit!
So far yes. I hope she warms up to me in the morning. Hopefully she was just cranky today due to the move, excitement, new people, and tired. We'll see how she acts in the morning.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Glad you're enjoying the visit. These things can take quite a long time, but I suspect you know that :)

When my 5 year old sun conure moved into my home, it took a few weeks before he stopped lunging at me through the bars and about 4 months before he was happy to come out of his cage and spend time with me. Once he decided though, he became my velcro / heart bird. So don't be disheartened at a slow start. The best things I can suggest are slowing down, patience and that everything that happens is with the bird's consent and at the bird's pace. Bribery with favoured treats will help.

Enjoy the visit.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She's very cute! Maybe try wearing green, it could be her favorite color! Don't be disappointed if she's cranky and distant for a while. She doesn't know why she's moved into this new environment, and she's probably confused and nervous.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah she is still pretty cranky today too. She doesn't even seem to want to eat when I am watching or nearby. I know once she gets hungry enough she'll go for the food so not too worried about that. She has snuck in a few nibbles on some apple and blueberries when I wasn't watching. I gave her a huge variety of fresh fruits and veggies this morning to help win her over through her stomach lol. Still does not want to step up. Will of course give her lots more time to adjust. Its interesting how she seemed fine the first 3/4 of the first day. She must have realized around the end of that time that "Hey, I guess we're not going home then... what you mean I am stuck her? Ok, now I'm gonna get cranky!" Will post some more updates as time passes. Thanks everyone! Learning a lot in this next step of my journey.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Picked up one of those treat sticks for her tonight and a few other perches and toys and she woofed it down (the treat, not the toys haha)! I moved her cage to a better, more permanent location too. She seems a little happier tonight, but not by much. Will probably take a week or two I'm guessing. Hopefully I can get her out onto the playstand again at some point this week as I want to give her loaner cage a good scrub down and get all the perches and toys optimized inside. For now though I am just trying not to disturb her too much. Right now she has moved over to her new rope perch and is making her little oink and ooooooooo noises. Very cute! Should have posted this in the Eckie sub forum.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She's gorgeous!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So gorgeous. How long is she visiting for?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
How long is she visiting for?
<1 day to >1 year lol

If after the first day I decided, "This is absolutely not for me" then she could go back, otherwise she is here indefinitely. The parront of Lada is so unbelievably sweet and helpful. She has taken in several birds that needed to be rehomed. Sulfur Too, Goffin Too, Blue Throated Macaw, Tiel, CAG, and a few others. Lada I believe is the only bird that was given to her as a present. She is so sweet though that I fell in love with her (as everyone does). So she let Lada come stay with me. Only downside to Lada coming to stay with me is she is SOOOOOO calm!!! I know that sounds like a good thing. She doesn't talk, she only occasionally makes a cute little oink or ooooooo sound, absolutely NO loud noises from her. She doesn't play with toys. She is basically a statue all day lol. She is a cuddle bug so I have been told, but I have not seen it yet as she is still adjusting to her new surroundings. Basically, its a great slow introduction to keeping a larger parrot, but probably by no means a good example of normal life with an Eclectus as they seem to be at least a little more active and vocal than Lada. Still this has and will be a GREAT next step for me along my journey.

Breakfast time
IMG_20170919_091920.jpg IMG_20170919_092317.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TWR

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
She is a gorgeous bird. Hopefully you two will get along wonderfully :)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Looks like she's enjoying that yummy breakfast

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I just got a video (poor quality unfortunately) of her munching on a strawberry. She is sooooooo cute! Especially when she takes little bites our of fruit. Seems like she is starting to warm up a little bit. Hopefully I will have her out and about in the next few days. Then the videos and pictures will flow in I am sure. Hate videos through bars...

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
You are very fortunate to have her in your care!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yes I am VERY grateful that Lada's parront trusts me to keep her, especially considering how new our relationship is. She is amazing and I cannot thank her enough for all the help she has given me. I gave her the very first Oppy's Atom I made a few months ago as a thank you. Pictures - Oppy's Atom! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum