• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Echo

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone,

I am not new to parrots, I currently have two gcc and a red belly. I am considering adding a Meyers since my red belly lost his senegal friend. However, my good friend passed away suddenly this week, and has willed me her Grey. I babysat Echo for 4 months 3 years ago when she was homeless. She has had a rough few years up to her passing and I was devastated to hear the news. We had discussed me taking Echo should anything every happen to her, and to my dismay she died in her sleep earlier this week.

Her elderly unwell mother has been caring for the bird, as I believe my friend had not been in the best of situations again. So, this weekend I am probably going to pick up Echo. I had always thought Echo was a male as that's what my friend had told me. However today her mother referred to Echo as a female and I inquired. She said last year Echo laid an egg, so there ya go. LOL

When Echo came to me three years ago, she came on a seed diet, and in a cage with not a toy to be seen. Over the course of those months, I got her eating some fresh fruits and veggies, introduced her to toys and she picked up many new words. It's been 3 years though and I have no idea what has truly happened with Echo during the fall of her mother. But, knowing I was the only one she trusted to take her beloved bird, I will give it a shot. So any advice you all can give me would be great.
Thanks
Amy

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Amy - thank you for taking this bird in...again. Hopefully Echo will remember you - I'm sure she will in time - and you won't have to start completely over.
Just be patient - which you know.
Grey's are smart and it won't be long before you are having her step up and give you kisses.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
you'll be fine.jpg
Thanks for taking her in. Believe it or not birds remember things pretty well and my guess would be it won't be long before she remembers you and the good care she got with you. As you already know just be patient and don't force it.
you'll be fine2.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry about the loss of your friend. I think you'll just have to let Echo lead you. She may very well remember staying with you and settle in quickly. Or she could be confused about why she's not with her former owner. I would start with just spending time sitting with her and talking to her and see how she responds from there.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm so sorry.
I too am sorry for the loss of your friend. I was so excited you were reunited with Echo.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Echo into your home.
So sorry for the loss of your friend and also the loss of the Senegal.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I grieve with you I apologize that I can’t say much considering I don’t have much grey experience. If you put much time and effort into the bird since it’s probably heartbroken, it will sense that, and even if it’ll be hard, they will appreciate you in the mere future. Good luck :cag::heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
God bless you.

Echo will feel your love. Time and patience are the keys.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I am sure Echo will remember who you are and settle in just fine once she becomes comfortable with the new environment and routine.