• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Echo

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Echo is almost 5 months and has been a part of our family for almost 2. I waited a very long time to get him and did lots of research prior. He's our birdie but really he's here for me and my love of companion birds.

I was fortunate to visit and play with him many times before we brought him home. Not sure if a bond was created but I use to hold hom and kiss him talking to him softly. Recently while at the vet when he came out of his gas post microchip he was agitated and confused trying to bite hus harness off. The only thing that calmed him down was kisses and talking softly.

We love him to bits. He's cute, playful and funny. He's already a bossy boots. It took only 2 days for him to become boss of the dog and somewhat of my husband.

He responds differently to my husband than me. With me he's always been gentle and nibbled softly. With my husband hes a little harder and sometimes hurts. When I talk to him he gets all small and huddled holding his head up doing these baby squaks. He also growls at us! My husband can just go over and look at him and he'll do it, but for me there has to be a well earnt reason. Generally he will let me do anything to him. I usually just grab him and kiss him while hubby has to pick his moments. It's interesting as he will interact differently even though we try take sane approach.

He can be making all these cute sounds to my husband but then comes and sits as close to me doing baby squaks. It's sometimes annoying as I feel I get a needy baby. He also occasionally turns his mood with hubby. Like wants to sit on him but then he's like dont touch me. I want to sit right here on you but dont touch me. Lol

He's such a funny boy. Today he's decided hes going to literally walk all over me, nibble on my nose, ears and eyebrows then fall asleep breathing on me pushing his beak into my cheek. Other times I feel he tests me and pushes the limits to see what I let him get away with. We play lots of games. He's always out when im home and we go out in harness daily. I try and introduce something new to him daily.

I'm interested to see how he continues to develop in personality and our relationship grows. I'm worried our relationship might change completely as have heard this happening with others. I'm hoping some good strong foundations now, might help with the hormones and adulthood in future.

Thanks for reading! Love sharing my experiences. I find the eclectus to be such an amazing creatures. Looking forward to our journey together

20170123_111211.jpg 20170119_150259.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's adorable, but please don't take this the wrong way, always have him harnessed or caged when outside.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I believe I see a blue harness on him, though it's harder to see in the 2nd picture.

He's adorable, by the way!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He's adorable, but please don't take this the wrong way, always have him harnessed or caged when outside.
Hi Birdbabe,

Not at all. Completely agree. Even tame birds that never leave your side can get spooked, then disoriented and lost.

If you have a closer look you will see he is wearing a dark green harness in both pics.
☺

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Talk about a matchie, matchie, mom got a harness to go with his feathers :hehepink:

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Echo is adorable!! More pictures, please! :D

It's great you are exposing him to new things at a young age!

My eckie boy growls too, and used to do it to my ex bf. He doesn't usually do it to me, unless he's growling and lunging at my feet, which is a whole other issue, haha. Sounds like you are *his* person, and it may stay that way. Just make sure your husband keeps working with him as much as possible.

All parrots are individuals, and someone with far more experience than me can chime in, but from the parrots I've taken care of/worked with at the rescue, I've seen that sometimes the sexual maturity phase behavioral changes for eckies sometimes isn't QUITE as extreme as other species (some male amazons or some male cockatoos, for example), but again, it always varies. My Lucius (male goffin cockatoo) seemed to only have minor, temporary changes in his behavior when he reached maturity, nothing extreme, so you never know. Once they reach maturity, though, eckie hormones are often heightened and you may see more ongoing hormonal/attempted mating behavior for many years (Charlie is ALWAYS trying to get his beak in my mouth/feed me). So, like you said, a good foundation of trust should help get you through that phase when it comes. :) My Charlie boy is about 11 and came to live with me a few years ago, so I didn't experience his maturity phase, but hopefully some other members can chime in!

Many eckies seem to not like to be "petted," I think due to their feathers (it can be uncomfortable). Charlie will push his face into my chest and let me pet his head and neck, but he doesn't allow anyone else to do this. Sounds the same as how you described Echo - "I want to sit on you but don't touch me." :)

So cute that Echo likes to nap on you. Charlie also loves to nap with his beak resting on my face, and he's my silly, goofy, sweet little love. Glad to have another eclectus parront on the Avenue! Sounds like you're doing a great job with your baby!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Echo is adorable!! More pictures, please! :D

It's great you are exposing him to new things at a young age!

My eckie boy growls too, and used to do it to my ex bf. He doesn't usually do it to me, unless he's growling and lunging at my feet, which is a whole other issue, haha. Sounds like you are *his* person, and it may stay that way. Just make sure your husband keeps working with him as much as possible.

All parrots are individuals, and someone with far more experience than me can chime in, but from the parrots I've taken care of/worked with at the rescue, I've seen that sometimes the sexual maturity phase behavioral changes for eckies sometimes isn't QUITE as extreme as other species (some male amazons or some male cockatoos, for example), but again, it always varies. My Lucius (male goffin cockatoo) seemed to only have minor, temporary changes in his behavior when he reached maturity, nothing extreme, so you never know. Once they reach maturity, though, eckie hormones are often heightened and you may see more ongoing hormonal/attempted mating behavior for many years (Charlie is ALWAYS trying to get his beak in my mouth/feed me). So, like you said, a good foundation of trust should help get you through that phase when it comes. :) My Charlie boy is about 11 and came to live with me a few years ago, so I didn't experience his maturity phase, but hopefully some other members can chime in!

Many eckies seem to not like to be "petted," I think due to their feathers (it can be uncomfortable). Charlie will push his face into my chest and let me pet his head and neck, but he doesn't allow anyone else to do this. Sounds the same as how you described Echo - "I want to sit on you but don't touch me." :)

So cute that Echo likes to nap on you. Charlie also loves to nap with his beak resting on my face, and he's my silly, goofy, sweet little love. Glad to have another eclectus parront on the Avenue! Sounds like you're doing a great job with your baby!
Thank you!! Photos as requested.

I love that you have a rescue!! Tried that avenue first with no success. But love that you rescue birds. Hard road but so rewarding.

I hope I'm wrong but feel echo will have a hard time with the hormones. He has already tried to feed us which I'm thinking maybe due to hot weather? Don't know if that sort of behavior is normal at 5months.

20170109_180221.jpg
Very important to ensure our companion birds get enough excercise and stimulation. Echo prefers to do a little weight training to stay in shape!

20170116_112908.jpg
Beak health also important. Echo goes out daily and has time to be a bird in our native wetlands. We bring safe branches home to destroy.
20170108_134003.jpg
Hes also is very fond of dandelions! That's his fur brother 'koby' in the background. While echo is the boss of these two they are always supervised. Koby is an experienced dog around birds. He use to live with a quaker. When out he gets protective over Echo especially around other dogs and magpies which could potentially hurt him.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Oh my goodness, his weight training!! Adorable! :roflmao: :faint:

Koby sounds like a good big brother! :xflove:

I've read about magpies being extremely protective/"aggressive" to people at times, but I never even thought about with other birds or companion birds! I'm fascinated by them, though. They are super smart and very interesting!

You may have mentioned this already and I missed it - how is Echo with eating healthy foods? I've heard of people having trouble getting baby/young eckies to adjust to a healthy, "eckie approved" diet after bringing them home from the breeder. And as you've seen, these boys can be QUITE stubborn. :rolleyes: It was (and still can be) quite a struggle with Charlie because he ate terrible, junky/crappy food for years in his previous home. :shifty:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh my goodness, his weight training!! Adorable! :roflmao: :faint:

Koby sounds like a good big brother! :xflove:

I've read about magpies being extremely protective/"aggressive" to people at times, but I never even thought about with other birds or companion birds! I'm fascinated by them, though. They are super smart and very interesting!

You may have mentioned this already and I missed it - how is Echo with eating healthy foods? I've heard of people having trouble getting baby/young eckies to adjust to a healthy, "eckie approved" diet after bringing them home from the breeder. And as you've seen, these boys can be QUITE stubborn. :rolleyes: It was (and still can be) quite a struggle with Charlie because he ate terrible, junky/crappy food for years in his previous home. :shifty:
Yes magpies are very aggressive here. People have to wear flexible stuff on their helmets when they ride bikes cos the birds will swoop. But they are super clever. My last bird nearly got attacked by 5 of them. Wind picked him off my shoulder.:cautious:

No problems getting him to eat. Echo is half dinosaur half vulture. He did have a base of sunflower seeds though from breeder. We are having a base of veggies and some sunflower in between now. But he loves them so much. I tried pellets but that didn't work out as he was toe tapping.:o:
He gets a different chop mix for bfast and a different one for dinner. Plus fruit treats and acceptable stuff off my plate.

I've heard of the struggle though!! Such funny birds.:laugh:

Last edited:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So we have a new game. Echo empties basket. Mum fills basket. Echo empties basket lol

So simple but he loves it! He tries to drag the items to the top and play with it. It swings around with Echo often doing the splits. Those drumsticks are getting very strong.

Need more of these simple ideas!!

IMG_20170131_161421.jpg

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Eclectus are one of the species who are not monogamous- which means they dont mate for life. This also translates into a bird who can get along easily with the whole family. If your bird is acting dominate or possessive you need to nip that right away. I have the person they are acting out too typically handle the bird exclusively when the other person is around. Have that person hand them treats. Socialize the heck out of them. Everyone holds my Eckies when they come into the home so they are use to stepping up for everyone and anyone. My other parrots are another story...

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Try putting a treat in a paper bag, coffee filters, I use the coffee filters, have wrapped the treat in 3 filters. Valentine loves it cause she gets to tear up the filter to get the treat.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Haven't posted for a while. Here are some pictures and update. 20170225_121002.jpg
Echo checking on my study.

20170225_100150.jpg
Snuggles post shower. He actually falls asleep under the water. Gets grumpy if he misses out on his daily shower.

He hurt his foot being a rough nut. Ended up on anti-inflammatorys. Was fine for a few weeks and then hurt his other foot. Thank fully it didn't need medication and is almost back to normal. I've had many birds but this one is by far is the most accident prone. Very inquisitive and too busy to slow down. Not sure if it's an eclectus or echo thing.

He has also started being a bit picky with his food. He would eat everything in sight, but now picks things over others. Still eats it but maybe in an hr when looking for a different flavour. He also uses food to play with, like will shred corn and broccoli, just for the fun of it. I got cleaver and now put a bowl under his vegtable/fruit stick. It falls in that and ultimately he's made his own chop mix which he eats when hes actually hungry.:joyful:

He went through an angry/screaming stage until I worked out he was beginning to molt. Gave him some more protein based foods and increased his shower time so he is thoroughly soaked and it seams to have resolved that issue and we are back to happy bird.

Our bond continues to get stronger. I can now lift his wings up and play with the under part for a good length of time. He lets me wipe his beak for him so it doesnt end up all over my furniture. He puts his foot up to indicate he wants to be picked up. He loves me teaching him colours atm and I am to keep his full attention.

He's relationship with my husband has also changed. He still growls and bites him but it's more of a game now. He's gotten very gentle with him. He even alternates turns between sitting on our shoulders.

I just love him more each day. We are going away in a few weeks so looking forward to seeing him out somewhere new.....and of course the singing in the car.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
No one told me how smart these little guys are. Like really smart

I asked echo why is there a mess on the floor...got a 'I dont know'

Hubby pulls into driveway and echo goes 'hello'

I get a 'no' when he doesn't want to do something

Hubby left bathroom and he looks through the gap and says 'where you go'

He brings his own snacks to eat on the couch now...which is just awesome as I now have to clean that.

Let himself out of cage yesterday to join us for our dinner. Then when he didn't get anything pulled on my ear. I said ouch and he tried to steal food out of my mouth.

Had a very bad day where I was very emotional and he didn't leave my side. I got so many kisses and nibbles that day that are reserved for end of day usually.

Cut my finger notices band aid as soon as I walk back into room.

I just love him to bits.

20170410_211037.jpg