• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Echo Update

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Echo has been seen by a vet and is in perfect health. She loves pellets and eats them on her own now. Shes not really eatting anything else but its early days. Her weight is slowly but surely going up. Her droppings are normal and she has bounds of energy. She is also whining less and it's very snuggly. :D :)

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Wonderful news! :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good. I haven't read all through your other posts but scanned one earlier this week. If I'm remembering correctly she was crying a lot and you started to hand-feed, assuming that the breeder did a poor job of weaning her. This may be true. Or it may not. Ducorps are known criers in the cockatoo world. Many people have reported them whining incessantly long after they were properly and abundantly weaned. If you are still hand-feeding, be just a smidgen careful about letting her con you into giving her A LOT of hand-feedings. After a couple days of comfort feeds, she should be feeling well enough to at least get most of her calories from food she eats herself. I see no problem with a night time comfort feed for several months so long as its not a huge feeding (around 10-35cc). If you have to hand-feed her several times a day (especially if they are large meals) I'd try to phase those out. Its normal for weaning babies to loose weight partly because all the water in formula is heavier than a dry adult meal. And partly because sometimes they have to be a little hungry in order to eat on their own very well. I'd rather have a mildly but not desperately hungry baby that eats on her own and is just slightly skinny than a fat baby that takes several hand feeds and becomes a serious problem to wean in a few months after she's been conditioned to be dependent. Just be aware that cockatoos can learn to be dependent by conning their new owner into hand-feeding them too much and it can be seriously psychologically damaging to keep them that way and to try to re-wean them once they've learned to be dependent. Walk the middle line here. Hand-feed her if you need to but for a lot of older babies, you can accomplish more by giving one or two small hand-feeds (10-20cc) and then leaving the bird alone to eat on its own. Even better if you she's willing would be to give her a warm meal in a food bowl for her to eat herself. Many insecure babies just need a very small comfort feed to get them started eating on their own for the day. Hopefully you have figured this all out yourself already and I've just been too busy to read your whole post.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Good. I haven't read all through your other posts but scanned one earlier this week. If I'm remembering correctly she was crying a lot and you started to hand-feed, assuming that the breeder did a poor job of weaning her. This may be true. Or it may not. Ducorps are known criers in the cockatoo world. Many people have reported them whining incessantly long after they were properly and abundantly weaned. If you are still hand-feeding, be just a smidgen careful about letting her con you into giving her A LOT of hand-feedings. After a couple days of comfort feeds, she should be feeling well enough to at least get most of her calories from food she eats herself. I see no problem with a night time comfort feed for several months so long as its not a huge feeding (around 10-35cc). If you have to hand-feed her several times a day (especially if they are large meals) I'd try to phase those out. Its normal for weaning babies to loose weight partly because all the water in formula is heavier than a dry adult meal. And partly because sometimes they have to be a little hungry in order to eat on their own very well. I'd rather have a mildly but not desperately hungry baby that eats on her own and is just slightly skinny than a fat baby that takes several hand feeds and becomes a serious problem to wean in a few months after she's been conditioned to be dependent. Just be aware that cockatoos can learn to be dependent by conning their new owner into hand-feeding them too much and it can be seriously psychologically damaging to keep them that way and to try to re-wean them once they've learned to be dependent. Walk the middle line here. Hand-feed her if you need to but for a lot of older babies, you can accomplish more by giving one or two small hand-feeds (10-20cc) and then leaving the bird alone to eat on its own. Even better if you she's willing would be to give her a warm meal in a food bowl for her to eat herself. Many insecure babies just need a very small comfort feed to get them started eating on their own for the day. Hopefully you have figured this all out yourself already and I've just been too busy to read your whole post.

I haven't had to hand feed her for a few days now. I give her water softened pellets morning and night which she eats herself. She is chewing and possibley swallowing the seeds, nuts and fruit I give her during the day. She's in whining much less and is a very happy bird :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Well done!
You've done such a good job with her, and she looks great :)

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That's great news. Ducorps really look so similar to a Goffin's.
I know. There both very cute cockatoos. Oh and I forgot to add that I have found her crop and it was full of mushy pellets :)