• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Earthquake =Night frights

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I woke up to my little grasskeets in a panic screaming and throwing themselves at around 4:45 this morning still very dark. Pearl's left wing pretty banged up, all her flight's on the floor.
Chipper lost both his flights on his wings. The tips of their little wings are red and raw.:( I couldn't figure out what spooked them . Turn on TV this morning and news says we had 4.6 mag. Earthquake this morning at exactly the same time I woke up to all the commotion . I didn't feel it and the Big birds didn't freak out. Their little wing tips are beat-up, is their anything anyone could recommend ,or should just let them heal on their own , it's like if we scraped our elbows, kind of raw.

Last edited:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am sorry about the night frights.
My tiels do have them when earthquakes happen in our neighborhood.
Don’t know how to triage a bird...
Probably should learn about it.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I am sorry about the night frights.
My tiels do have them when earthquakes happen in our neighborhood.
Don’t know how to triage a bird...
Probably should learn about it.

I wondered if I should let the scraped wing tips heal -up on their own . I don't want to stress them out any more than they are. :(

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I understand. Keep an eye on the injury. I would be concerned about infections.
Can your vet do a phone/email consultation?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Had birds freaking out here, too. I didn't feel anything and I checked online and saw nothing about an earthquake at that time but this AM when I checked USGS it was confirmed that there was one. Heard birds flapping and falling but they seemed OK although I didn't check downstairs. This AM I saw that Kuiper dropped several feathers but don't see any blood which is a good thing because he has a history of breaking blood feathers.
Sorry that Chipper and Pearl got very scared and hurt themselves. You might want to get some Vetericyn wound and skin care spray. My preference is the hydrogel version. Also could try Avi-vera spray. If you think it's too stressful for them then just let them be.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Had birds freaking out here, too. I didn't feel anything and I checked online and saw nothing about an earthquake at that time but this AM when I checked USGS it was confirmed that there was one. Heard birds flapping and falling but they seemed OK although I didn't check downstairs. This AM I saw that Kuiper dropped several feathers but don't see any blood which is a good thing because he has a history of breaking blood feathers.
Sorry that Chipper and Pearl got very scared and hurt themselves. You might want to get some Vetericyn wound and skin care spray. My preference is the hydrogel version. Also could try Avi-vera spray. If you think it's too stressful for them then just let them be.

Thanks will do :joyful: