• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Early Paintbrush?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Some of you may recall this Red Tailed Hawk I photographed recently eating his meal on a lamppost.
IMG_20171110_091428364_HDR_20171116211855067.jpg

Walking the dogs a little later, I picked this up from underneath that same lamppost. Obviously, our friend doesn't mind being canilbilistic. Notice how the one feather looks so much like a paintbrush?

I was told, in a thread of mine about molting, that @Macawnutz was a feather expert. What is this kind of feather? TD doesn't have ones like this!
IMG_20171120_083924264_HDR.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh, he was eating another bird huh.
Looks like a tail or secondary wing feather. I'd guess tail first. The one in the shaft is a new blood feather, that's how they grow in. Your bird has blood feathers too. Is that what is confusing?

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
The one that looks like a paintbrush still has the feather sheath that feathers grow from until fully expanded.
Take a look at these

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Is that what is confusing?
Actually, confused is my normal state. I knew TD (and all birds) have blood feathers, but, I've never actually seen one! Not yet with TD, and not with Miyetti.

Test Question:What kind of bird did it come from? Possible hint - Crows were dive-bombing it whilst it ate...tho' the predator didn't blink an eye, didn't miss a bite...and didn't forget to swallow.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Actually, confused is my normal state. I knew TD (and all birds) have blood feathers, but, I've never actually seen one! Not yet with TD, and not with Miyetti.

Test Question:What kind of bird did it come from? .

A black one! ;)

Everytime a feather molts a new one grows in in its place. They are encased in that sheath and filled with blood. As the feather grows the bird can preen the end exposing the feather. Preen too far and it will bleed.

Your paint brush feather, if you open the sheath a underdeveloped feather will be inside. :)