1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Early Beginnings and Bad Endings

Discussion in 'Breeders Boulevard' started by Lady Jane, 9/11/19.

1. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Hawk12237, Beasley, SandraK and 7 others like this.
  2. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    @expressmailtome would you kindly move this posting to the breeder forum. It makes more sense there. Thanks so much.

BeanieofJustice and Ripshod like this.
  3. Sodapop&Co.

Sodapop&Co. Strolling the yard

Sarah
    Thank you so much for sharing! That is a great article.

Lady Jane likes this.
  4. Lady Jane

Dianne
    I wish the breeders that cut a babys flight feathers would read this as well.

5. JoJo&Loki

JoJo&Loki Rollerblading along the road

Kelly
    I thought the same thing :(

Another good read, thanks Dianne!

EkkieLu, Lady Jane and Sodapop&Co. like this.
  6. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Rollerblading along the road

Raphi
    Amazing article.

EkkieLu and Lady Jane like this.
  7. Lady Jane

Dianne
    I think Pam is correct in that people buying birds from breeders asked the right questions and got references from other customers we would have improved early raising of baby parrots.

BeanieofJustice and EkkieLu like this.
  8. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    I couldn't get Lurch back because he was afraid to fly down:( I don't think he had much access to being able to fly as he wanted till I got him and let his flights grow back in. He very slowly got stronger and was very good at maneuvering except apparently flying down. Dobby has been allowed to fly his whole life and has absolutely no problems flying down or doing acrobatic maneuvers and Momazon said he got out once and she just sat on the lawn close to where he ended up with a bowl of his favorite hot cereal and he flew down to munch and waited for her to pick him up. :xflove:

Sodapop&Co. and Lady Jane like this.
  9. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    I wouldn't make a cent as a breeder because I'd fall in love with every baby and not be able to let them go! I really would be Producing Family Members!!!

10. Hawk12237

Hawk12237 Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting!

Michael
    Lady Jane likes this.
  11. Matto

Matto Jogging around the block Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Matt
    Thank you for posting this. She's 100% correct.

Lady Jane likes this.
  12. Lady Jane

Dianne
    I 100 percent agree with you. This is one of her best writings and I told her that. She was very appreciated as it took her quite a while to write.

Dartman and Hawk12237 like this.
  13. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Zara
    I hear ya! I certainly was not intending to have a family of 6 feathered babies. The plan changed and I changed my mind on giving them away.

A great article.
    In Spain, clipping (of a bird of any age) is far from the norm. It is rare to see a clipped bird. Which is nice...
    However, unweaned chicks is also the norm. Pet stores sell parent raised birds, not co parented or hand raised and I don´t know about the weaning process.

I´m glad I stuck to my guns and dismissed my vet telling me to stop hand feeding my little one because she´s such a special bird, we have such a close bond, even right now that she is super hormonal, which is surprising for a lovie hen.

Sodapop&Co. and EkkieLu like this.
  14. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    I totally agree with you! Although I didn't adopt my babies at birth, I always make a point at every meal to hand each baby a little nibble by hand before setting their bowl down. Anything to build a stronger bond with them is good in my book!

Zara likes this.
  15. Hawk12237

Hawk12237 Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting!

Michael
    I hear ya, some times my birds eat at table with wife and I ....put their chop down and let the go at it...a flock thing....sometimes I steal a nibble or nite off their plate, other times Grayson with being something to me to eat...shoves it in my mouth. But its pure bonding at its best.

EkkieLu likes this.
  16. EkkieLu

Tricia
    That sounds so sweet! Grayson is real honey!!!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)