• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Ear infection

Max123

Moving in
Hi everyone,

I have a lovebird named Max. He’s four and a half yrs old. He’s on meds for an ear infection. It’s the first time he’s ever been sick and I’m so upset about it. He’s doing a lot better now but wanted to know if anyone has ever had a bird with an ear infection?

Thanks,
Jen

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi Jen, good to see you here :) @metalstitcher has had experience with this. How is Max doing after the vet visit the other day? What tests did they do?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie has had an ear infection for a bit. Mainly because of her age. She is an old biddy bird lol. Did they run any kind of testing on your baby?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara had an ear infection (possibly caused because she was old, I asked her vet why it happened and he said it just happens more often to certain birds) it cleared up very quickly with the medication she was on. She was given an oral antibiotic and also anti inflammatory ear drops.

Max123

Moving in
Hi all

LunaLovebird! I’ve been looking through so many parrot forums, I forgot this was the one you recommended!

Max is doing better. The vet said to give him the antibiotics for five more days. He wanted to continue with the Cipro eye drops for his ears. He said it’s safe and he’s used it before. I’m going to give it to him for three more days.

The vet did an endoscopic otic video exam...basically scoping of his ear canal. The pictures showed a very small wax buildup along one side of the canal.

I really didn’t like the vet. He was soooo rushy. I didn’t even have a chance to ask the questions i wanted to ask.

He didn’t know what could have caused it but my guess is a cold draft. He likes perching on the hall table and we had some brutally cold days. When we come in from the garage door leading to the house, the cold air rushes in and Max usually sits there to greet us. OR dust. He hates bathing...maybe that was it.

He did say that ear infections are not common in birds.

Max123

Moving in
Kamara,

I noticed you’re from Ontario. I’m from Toronto!

Which vet do you go to and are you happy with them?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Itsy, my Meyer's had an ongoing ear issue for quite awhile. It would leak fluid and she would seem down a bit. After several runs of antibiotics and the eye drops in her ear, the vet removed a big chunk of ear wax. It was so big but had shrunk (dried out) by the time they showed it to me. I suspect that a foreign bit of something got in there and the wax wrapped around it. She's been fine ever since it was removed. Was scary for awhile. I thought I was going to lose her when they tested the bacteria and found it resistant to all 21(?) antibiotics available.

Another member here mentioned her bird had a seed stuck in their ear and it had to be flushed or removed. I believe it was @Laurul Feather Cat

Max123

Moving in
Itsy, my Meyer's had an ongoing ear issue for quite awhile. It would leak fluid and she would seem down a bit. After several runs of antibiotics and the eye drops in her ear, the vet removed a big chunk of ear wax. It was so big but had shrunk (dried out) by the time they showed it to me. I suspect that a foreign bit of something got in there and the wax wrapped around it. She's been fine ever since it was removed. Was scary for awhile. I thought I was going to lose her when they tested the bacteria and found it resistant to all 21(?) antibiotics available.

Another member here mentioned her bird had a seed stuck in their ear and it had to be flushed or removed. I believe it was @Laurul Feather Cat
I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case with Max. Good to hear shes well now