• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

E. coli in the crop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice
Alright, I know there are some threads out there about this already but I am having trouble finding some info. Edgars labs came back and they said he showed E. coli in his crop. She advised me that I needed to buy some powder to give him but unfortunately we truly cannot afford this right now. She gave me a print out on putting apple cider vinegar in his water. He does not seem to like this.
I am wondering how effective it is?
Are there other things I can do to get rid of this? (I've read about some spices and other things)
Is this common? They seemed to be so nonchalant about it.
What are other things I should look out for to know if it's getting worse?
(I kind of got shooed out and was asking a lot of questions during his vet visit. they didn't even call me with his labs after two weeks of waiting i went in myself and asked for them.)

Unfortunately some unforeseen circumstances have occurred and we are very tight with money. I need to know anything I can do to help this as quickly as possible. :( Any help is greatly appreciated.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Bumping this up so that more people will see it. Sorry I am no help. Good luck:hug8:

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice
Thank you! I just called them back. The girl that answered said it was "ENTEROBACTER" and the powder they were trying to get me to buy was Bene Bac. Looks like I can get it online. And looks like its a probiotic?

ImaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
Thank you! I just called them back. The girl that answered said it was "ENTEROBACTER" and the powder they were trying to get me to buy was Bene Bac. Looks like I can get it online. And looks like its a probiotic?
I sent you another message with some links, winged victory sells it and also drs foster and smith .. Hope this helps some!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
E. coli is pretty serious bacteria. How much does this treatment cost?

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's Enterobacter, not E. coli. :confused: If the recommended treatment is a probiotic, it's not a serious infection. I would definitely recommend purchasing an avian probiotic. They're not terribly expensive, especially not compared to further vet care or antibiotics! I use Aviculture.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Spices like Garlic, Clove, Cinnamon, Oregano and Sage will kill E. coli.

If I was you I would be just as concerned about finding out the source of the E. coli. We had a recall on romaine lettuce a while back because of E. coli.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
yes benabec is a probiotic, but if it is e-coli should be put on antibiotics

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It's Enterobacter, not E. coli. :confused: If the recommended treatment is a probiotic, it's not a serious infection. I would definitely recommend purchasing an avian probiotic. They're not terribly expensive, especially not compared to further vet care or antibiotics! I use Aviculture.
In that case, the same article says that vinegar is effective after prolonged contact.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I would be really concerned if I were you. I also would look for a new avian vet, this one seems awful. Don't let them shoe you out, be aggressive in a nice way, and don't let them treat you that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.