• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DYH 'Zon in Texas needs a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Hi all,

I need to find a home for a DYH hen who is about 40 years old. She is beautiful and charming and playful and funny and definitely has many wonderful attributes, but unfortunately has been in a series of homes that have encouraged some undesirable behaviors, particularly lunging and biting. Her most recent home was with an elderly couple who have two other DYHs and a TAG and take excellent care of their birds, but unfortunately even after several behavioral consults and countless conversations, they have still been unable and/or unwilling to absorb and practice the changes necessary to improve her behavior. As a result, the lunging and biting behaviors have increased over the past 20 months that they have had her.

Having said that, I have had several opportunities to interact with her over the past few years, particularly before this last couple adopted her, and I had quite a bit of success in reducing the biting and lunging behaviors when I was working with her directly (in fact, the only time she ever bit me was once when a person she strongly disliked brushed past her while she was on my arm. She bit my arm in a fit of transfered aggression). She is very smart and I think can become quite receptive to training if she is paired with someone who has the patience, knowledge, and commitment to help her undo all the bad behaviors she's learned over the years.

For that reason, I will only consider rehoming her with someone who has at *least* a basic understanding of Applied Behavioral Analysis, particularly someone who has completed at least one of Dr. Susan Friedman's classes (LLA, LLP, and/or PBAS mini-lessons). Because I realize this requirement greatly reduces the pool of eligible adopters, I am willing to drive to meet that person to assist with transport, and am also willing to have as many phone and email conversations as necessary to assist with her behavioral issues. Alternately, I would consider someone who currently does not have any experience with Applied Behavioral Analysis but is willing to learn and enroll in one of Dr. Friedman's classes.

I hope you're out there, potential adopter! I know she might sound scary based on my description, but she is a wonderful bird and will be well worth the work to win her over!

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Good luck finding the right home for this gal. i'm glad she has someone so invested in her future.
-Anna

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would dearly love to have her, but we don't have the room. I deal with biting and lunging, too.
I sure hope that precious baby finds a good home who understands.

Last edited:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Wow, thanks, ladies, for helping me keep this thread active! If anyone knows of anyone who might be interested in this girl, please spread the word! Thanks all! :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sure wish I could...I can't right now...poor girl I sure hope and pray she finds someone.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope she finds a wonderful home.