• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dyed Hair?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
So sorry for all the questions I am throwing out there but Kai is my first Parrotlet and I am trying to do everything right to keep him as happy and healthy as he is. I’ve read that Parrotlets love to hide under your hair and Kai is no different. I have only let him do this twice though because I have my hair touched up (dyed) every six to eight weeks. My question is, is it safe for Kai to hide under my hair? It has occurred to me that should he chew on it there might be a possibility of him ingesting dye from my hair? If it is not dangerous to Kai then I would love to let him do his thing. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
As long as you're washing your hair and not putting a ton of product in afterwards, then he should be fine. The dye it's unlikely to hurt him - you'd probably have to worry about a hairball before any sort of toxicity in this case. :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
As long as you're washing your hair and not putting a ton of product in afterwards, then he should be fine. The dye it's unlikely to hurt him - you'd probably have to worry about a hairball before any sort of toxicity in this case. :)
Thank you so much. Question, I’ve never heard of it but do birds get hairballs?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
dyes not good for your health

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
dyes not good for your health
Thank you for your reply. I do have in mind to eventually let it come in white. I’m just not ready quite yet. Meanwhile I am concerned about my bird.

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
I love to play with my hair colors. It has never bothered any of my birds. I had a teil once who I had to keep my hair up around because he would get in it, hold a strand and then twist around and around until he was essentially in a hair cacoon. It wasn't a problem but it wasn't easy to extract him from his little cuddly bed.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think you just need to be reasonable. If you just got back from the salon, probably not. If you have had regular showers and don't have heaps of products in your hair it will be ok. You can let him cuddle in something else when the hair is a no go zone.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I love to play with my hair colors. It has never bothered any of my birds. I had a teil once who I had to keep my hair up around because he would get in it, hold a strand and then twist around and around until he was essentially in a hair cacoon. It wasn't a problem but it wasn't easy to extract him from his little cuddly bed.
Awww. I can picture your teil wrapping himself up. So funny. Thanks for letting me know you’ve had no issues. Kai is dying to get under my long hair.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I think you just need to be reasonable. If you just got back from the salon, probably not. If you have had regular showers and don't have heaps of products in your hair it will be ok. You can let him cuddle in something else when the hair is a no go zone.
Thank you for your reply. What you said makes a lot of sense.