• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusty- my cockatiel will not go back in the cage

jbarkan

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jill Barkan
Hi,
I have tried everything. treats, toys.... she is extremely smart-- she will fly on my back where I can't reach her and stay here. I forgot to get her wings clipped, and I am paying the price!
I love her... but she has a mind of her own....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried millet? Hanging a piece of millet spray often works. And try to stay calm. If she senses you're stressed she'll get stressed. And I'm actually not a fan of wing clipping. It's better for a bird's physical and emotional well-being to be flighted.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You’ll have to keep her a bit hungry when she’s out of her cage so she’ll go back for food. Never force her to do anything, but always try to make everything her choice. Stay calm and give yourself plenty of time. If you walk backwards with her facing you and your hand behind her, she might not fly away as readily. I would start target training her. Also, put her in and take her right out once in a while so she doesn’t think going in her cage always means fun time is over.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
put her in and take her right out once in a while so she doesn’t think going in her cage always means fun time is over.
Great idea. TD doesn't get as much out of cage time as he should bcuz of our living situation When he does get out he doesn't want to get back in. It takes a long time to get him to go back. Sadly, I have had to force him a couple of times...like when we broke down on the side of a very busy highway and had to have the RV towed. I think the times I've had to force him in has played a big part in his refusing to go back.
@jbarkan if you find something that works for your cockatiel, please let me know! Millet doesn't work for TD. I have not found any food item that he likes enough to make him go in. Or to use as a training treat. Any ideas?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Great idea. TD doesn't get as much out of cage time as he should bcuz of our living situation When he does get out he doesn't want to get back in. It takes a long time to get him to go back. Sadly, I have had to force him a couple of times...like when we broke down on the side of a very busy highway and had to have the RV towed. I think the times I've had to force him in has played a big part in his refusing to go back.
@jbarkan if you find something that works for your cockatiel, please let me know! Millet doesn't work for TD. I have not found any food item that he likes enough to make him go in. Or to use as a training treat. Any ideas?
What all does he eat on a normal basis? If millet is a no go, I'd try another seed type to start; sunflower, safflower, oat groats, or perhaps buckwheat? You could try a small piece of sliced almond or pistachio or another nut as well.