• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusky or Jenday more gentle?

Sue2014

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I am trying to decide if I am a better match for a dusky or jenday conure - or either... Do both avoid becoming nippy as adults? I have a fairly good noise tolerance, but continued screeching would be too much. Looks do not matter to me. I am hoping for the most cuddly and gentle type of conure while avoiding aggressiveness and too much biting. Playfulness would be great, but my main hope is for a sweet snuggler. I know each bird is an individual, but I'd really appreciate any opinions and insight you may have. Thank you!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You said it in your post, "...each bird is an individual." My first Dusky conure was very sweet, gentle and on the quiet side. My current Dusky, Jaden, is nippy, very busy, and very chatty. He doesn't screech and is definitely not as loud as my 'toos but he can chat (sounds and talking) for a long periods of time. He is definitely much noisier and louder than my first Dusky.

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have a Jenday who is very sweet and cuddly. Hasn't bitten me intentionally since I've had her. Don't know about dusky but id definitely recommend a Jenday. Each bird is individual but generally speaking, Jendays are gentle and playful :)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 2 duskies, and both can have their nippy moments. But in general they are funny, engaging little birds. One of my duskies is especially sweet and loving while the other is more outgoing and wanting to visit everyone's cage domains!
My concern is more towards their noise. They are 2 of the most chatty birds that I have of my flock of 12. When they get going, especially together, it's shrill and persistent.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 2 duskies, and both can have their nippy moments. But in general they are funny, engaging little birds. One of my duskies is especially sweet and loving while the other is more outgoing and wanting to visit everyone's cage domains!
My concern is more towards their noise. They are 2 of the most chatty birds that I have of my flock of 12. When they get going, especially together, it's shrill and persistent.

Are Gizmo and Niko both males? Riley Ryan was a female and quiet whereas Jaden is a male and very chatty. I don't find his voice shrill but he can go on and on and on nonstop for a very long time.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've actually never had them DNA'd. They each their own digs, but do love to spend time together when out.

Sue2014

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much for your input. I really love Conures, but most of the green cheeks I see are just too nippy for me. I'm hoping for a Jenday if they are not so prone to biting, but was a little concerned about the noise so I thought maybe a Dusky would be a better choice. But it sounds like they're just as loud. As long as it's not constant screeching though, it'll be fine.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for your input. I really love Conures, but most of the green cheeks I see are just too nippy for me. I'm hoping for a Jenday if they are not so prone to biting, but was a little concerned about the noise so I thought maybe a Dusky would be a better choice. But it sounds like they're just as loud. As long as it's not constant screeching though, it'll be fine.
I don't consider Jaden as loud as a Sun or a Jenday. He's just very chatty. Dusky conures are actually supposed to be on the quiet side compared to other Aratinga conures.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Blue crowns are quieter then the jenday, relatively gentle and laid back

Sue2014

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Are the blue crowns generally less nippy than green cheeks?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My duskies can amp things up to the point where we can't hear what we're saying to one another while in close proximity. It's a sharp nagging call at its worst.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Are the blue crowns generally less nippy than green cheeks?
That is what I have read, but I don’t have experience with GGC to compare. Pampa is my one and only. From what I have read he does seem to be laid back, I don’t think he is too loud and he talks a lot.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Every bird's an individual, but I think the two species would be more or less equivalent in cuddliness, if raised the same (individual personality, and how much attention and handling they get as a baby will both affect cuddliness). Both can be loud, but duskies are usually going to be a bit quieter.