• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusky Feathers

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
My 4 month old Mustache Parrot/Parakeet's feathers seems to be getting a dusky color. He's less bright than he has been in the past. Still green but not as bright. He is also having a change in Beak color from beautiful Orange to Black. For Mustaches it could mean that HE is not a HE (as both the store and the Vet though-No DNA) but a SHE. I'm wondering if the dusky instead of bright feather color could mean a molt is coming among the other changes I see.
Any Ideas?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

Heather F

Lol you don't need to bump a post that's only 15 minutes old! :roflmao:

Re the original inquiry:

It's pretty normal for baby birds to be pretty rough on their feathers. If your adorable little Beaksy likes to play hard or rub up against his cage bars or the sides of objects it's totally normal for him to start wearing the colour off his feathers. You can do a search on "feather bronzing" for more information on that and to see if it corresponds to what you're seeing on him.

Regarding the beak colour though, I'm no expert.

Rolanda

I just expect the beak is just that HE is a SHE... Oh Well. She'll just be "Beaksi" instead of "Beaksey". I just thought it might be some indication of some birdie changes a-happenin'... that might explain the feather color changing too. LOL
She-him doesn't play hard or even much really. The cage top and foot toys or chewables are the favorites if not riding on a shoulder.