• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures During the hurricane aftermath I simplified my bird food prep

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
67EBA49C-576A-4473-AE88-F443D8A1168D.jpeg 41C788E4-0B92-41B8-8E47-B3EAD6857DF2.jpeg B2B022D3-F42B-429C-9E94-5D02595BDD6F.jpeg

to a skillet to warm up all the cooked foods all placed side by side in one shot. Plus a few plastic dishes for the fresh fruit and veggies. But I’ve gone back to my old system of prepping the breakfast and dinner trays the night before. First I serve out the cooked foods, then I chop up the fresh. At mealtime just slide out a tray warm the cooked foods and you are good to go!

Sweet potato steaming in the ip

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
But I’ve gone back to my old system of prepping the breakfast and dinner trays the night before. First I serve out the cooked foods, then I chop up the fresh. At mealtime just slide out a tray warm the cooked foods and you are good to go!

Sweet potato steaming in the ip

Yummm - all of this looks so tasty!

I know one thing, theyre eating better than I am LOL.....Have you tried these? Rubbermaid FreshWorks. They are awesome! The really keep greens crisp for a long time compared to everything else Ive tried.
View attachment 290328

Yes! I was thinking the very same - her birds are eating wayyyy better than me!
Those Fresh Works containers look great - I hope I remember to look for those in the store next time I go... I need something to lengthen the life of our wilty spinach!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ooh thanks Grackle! I’ll order them today!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How long does a sweet potato have to steam in the IP? I cook mine in the micro, it has a sensor so 8 or 9 minutes.

Made pot roast in the IP last night - yum.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How long does a sweet potato have to steam in the IP? I cook mine in the micro, it has a sensor so 8 or 9 minutes.

Something is different with these winter sweet potatoes. Used to take 28 min steaming for really soft, now takes 40 min. I have the delivery folk select large fat ones.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Its a great system!
The only thing that brightens up this dull chore are my new containers haha. I carry stacks of them from the bird fridge in the dining room to the kitchen and worry I’ll drop and smash them and wake up jack. I know,,, I need a lightweight metal tray to transport them, don’t trust melamine with the weight.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I just microwave potatoes. I think it's faster and easier.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only thing that brightens up this dull chore are my new containers haha. I carry stacks of them from the bird fridge in the dining room to the kitchen and worry I’ll drop and smash them and wake up jack. I know,,, I need a lightweight metal tray to transport them, don’t trust melamine with the weight.
How about a rolling cart?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:roflmao: I love those containers too!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Find out what kind of metal and paint it uses if you can so you know that it is safe for the birds. I have a rolling bird stand. I purchased a piece of plexiglass, put that on top and put a cage on top of that. When I upgraded that cage I decided to just use it as a feeding station where I could place the items I need when I feed the birds.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Find out what kind of metal and paint it uses if you can so you know that it is safe for the birds. I have a rolling bird stand. I purchased a piece of plexiglass, put that on top and put a cage on top of that. When I upgraded that cage I decided to just use it as a feeding station where I could place the items I need when I feed the birds.

This wouldn’t go in the birdroom. Just for transporting containers from fridge to kitchen

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This wouldn’t go in the birdroom. Just for transporting containers from fridge to kitchen
I see. That does look like a nice cart and it holds a lot. I wish I had a dumbwaiter so that I could load up the food and water I need to bring upstairs instead of carrying all of it and sometimes having to make multiple trips. If I ever move I will definitely stick with a one floor home.
BTW, how are the potatoes that are steamed in the IP? I tried cooking corn on the cob in the IP and it took forever.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I see. That does look like a nice cart and it holds a lot. I wish I had a dumbwaiter so that I could load up the food and water I need to bring upstairs instead of carrying all of it and sometimes having to make multiple trips. If I ever move I will definitely stick with a one floor home.
BTW, how are the potatoes that are steamed in the IP? I tried cooking corn on the cob in the IP and it took forever.

The birds enjoy them and it’s the easiest foolproof method for me. Microwave is tricky for me. They like them really soft

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Jack said I should prep in the dining room as always and he’ll let me know if the click click of the containers wakes him up.