• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

drying your own fruits/veggies?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I wanted to see if anyone dries their own treats for their birds? I was thinking of buying a good dehydrator to make Dex some treats. I had bought some dried orange slices at my local pet store, and Dexter loved them, but $2.50 for three orange slices seemed excessive. I know I won't save money short term, but long term, I think I'll save quite a bit. Do any of you guys have experience using a dehydrator? Does this sound like a good idea? I know that dehydrated stuff doesn't last as long as freeze dried, but they are very expensive and large.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I do dry my own fruit and veggies just because I don't want any sugar or other stuff added. (hard to find without)
But I'm not using a dehydrator. I think it's a good idea to DIY.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
My local petsupplies plus has a bunch of dried treats with nothing added, but they are a bit expensive for the amount you get. Do you sun dry or use the oven? I'd try the oven, but I burnt myself and got a scar a few years ago and I'm scared to use it without gloves (potholders arent enough) And even with gloves, I get anxiety.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I both sun dry and put them on my radiators with a net under. No oven.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Are there any fruits that don't dry well?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Dehydrators are relatively cheap, esp when you factor how much you can save compared to store bought treats. I am wanting to get one for my birds. Just to add ore stuff to their diet and maybe in foraging toys. Figure a dried pea is easier to clean from a puzzle toy than a fresh or frozen one.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Are there any fruits that don't dry well?
No. But mango and others fruit that contain so much water are more difficult to dry.
Apple, pear, pepper and carrots are very easy to dry and always get perfect.
Dry cantaloupe melon taste so good so that you must try. (yes I eat them too)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I got my dehydrator at Wal-Mart yesterday. So far I've only made pumpkin "chips", but only a little because I'm a weakling and the pumpkin was too hard to slice. He seemed to like it. I am also making Apple chips, but they aren't done yet (though I may have eaten some already)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
No. But mango and others fruit that contain so much water are more difficult to dry.
I agree with @Eloy some fruit doesn't dehydrate well. I've had my food dehydrator for a long time now and I don't use it at all. I believe it depends on the size of the cut. If you slice it thin, it is easier. If I remember correctly, I used to spray the apples and pears with lemon juice before dehydrating so they didn't turn a weird color. I haven't used it in years. It took too long, didn't taste that great, or look that great.

Love to see how everyone else does it and how it ends up looking. Thanks!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I'm looking forward to making some dried watermelon. It's supposed to take really long to dry, but I really like the taste of water melon, and don't like how diluted the taste is. Diluted flavors make me gag. I'd rather drink water than a watered down drink.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds get a great deal of the water they need from their food. There's nothing wrong with dehydrated food for your bird but you "are" robbing them of water.

The same reason I never serve dry pellets. They need that water.