• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drought puts 1000s of baby flamingos at risk

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This doesn't seem to have been widely reported- at least where I am, but a drought has put 1000s of baby flamingos in South Africa at risk. A woman with our rescue is there helping. She is hand feeding 84 babies! The good news is the worst seems to be over but they still have to get the babies big enough and strong enough to be released.

Drought Threatens Thousands of Flamingo Chicks in South Africa - Forbes Africa

The rescue that she is assisting is SANCCOB in Cape Town.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I saw the headline and clicked thinking, "hey I know about that", then I realized you posted it, haha. I am enjoying following along with her Facebook posts.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I saw the headline and clicked thinking, "hey I know about that", then I realized you posted it, haha. I am enjoying following along with her Facebook posts.
LOL. I waited to see if you were going to. I'm amazed that it doesn't seem to be getting more attention than it is. Although I guess now, they're over the worst of it. But there's still a lot of babies to take care of. I'm enjoying her FB posts too.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I am surprised as well, you would think with all those baby Flamingo's a least one news station would want to pick the story up.