• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drill press?

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
If you are drilling holes in blocks of wood, then no a band saw wont work. But if you were cutting out a lot of circles, a band saw is perfect for that.
I agree with john about the auger bits for holes less than 1". Id still use a forstner bit for anything bigger.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I will try anything once @JLcribber so I will order one for my 1" holes. :) I don't have a problem with needing a clamp or holding the pieces. Just drilling the holes without smoking the room. Lol
Those bits will also drill fine at medium speed (instead of high).

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Those bits will also drill fine at medium speed (instead of high).

I slow it down for the big holes. I have to order another recoil spring before trying anything. Third one!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I ordered this thingie Rockwell RK7323 Portable Tabletop Saw and my oldest son has secured a drill press for me, he is a Manager of Menards and knows my experience with tools. :cool: I have stated to him I can't keep ordering wood for Ella and not go in debt buying wood pieces, so making it happen with doing it on my own with cutting her wood for her to destroy and of course his help with some wood.

Jonnywalter

Moving in
Real Name
Jon
For woodwork.I have an 8 inch drill press. Not a WEN, but very similar to the 8 inch WEN. It meets my needs, but the rack and pinion table height adjustment and half inch further travel of the spindle on the 10 inch WEN would make a much more enjoyable tool to use. It's also not that much more expensive than the 8 inch. I don't have any WEN products, but am impressed with them after reading many reviews and watching reviews of some of their other products. They aren't top of the line tools, but seem to be a great value.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
There are two kinds of tools. Consumer grade and commercial grade. The difference between the two is durability (and to a degree accuracy). A consumer grade model will have more plastic/lightweight parts. Easier to go out of alignment and get loose over time. The motor will not last as long.

If you are going to use it every day and drill for a couple of hours (100's of holes) then you need a commercial model. If you're just going to use it 2 or 3 times a week to drill 25 holes then a cheap one will work fine.

I NEVER buy cheap tools because it doesn't pay over the long term. You run a business so spend a little more. Get a good one and write the cost of it off. Pay the tax or buy a "nice" tool. No brainer.

A drill press is a drill press. Not that much to know.

I usually look for auctions that have industrial grade tooling and machinery, can pick up good bargains.