• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drill press?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh my my.....

My fabric scissors are NOT allowed to cut paper.

I've found over the years if I buy quality stuff, it lasts. If you buy cheap, you wind up muttering to yourself and we already have issues because we're crazy bird people. Too many tools of low quality could make us wind up living in a mental institution.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I get in trouble all the time too. He walked in to give me a good night kiss last night. "Those are my pliers!" Yes because all of mine are gone for some reason. Okay for him to borrow my stuff.

He shouldn't curtail your creative mind...just saying :lol:
Man, I yell at Jon all the time for stealing my stuff and not putting it back...it was nearly WWIII a few weekends ago because I couldn't find the needle nose pliers I use to dunk my wood in my pretty colors with because he'd taken it again. I told him this time he had to get his own!:sneaky:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My wife thankfully doesnt even ask to touch the power tools. Now regular tools is another thing, I ended up buying her a tool bag and some tools so she would stop stealing mine.
She keeps it in the spare room and if she sees me using one of them in the house she makes sure to tell me to put it back in HER tool bag :shake:

SEE! THIS! This is what Jon has to learn! There are MY tools and then there are...well...MY TOOLS!:rofl:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is so funny. We joke around here that I'm the one with the tools. I have jewelry tools, bird room tools, and luthier tools.

When I had my shop everyone came in asking if we had a "guy" that did violin repair. They'd even look around me before they asked, sort of like if you're the only one here, y'all don't do repairs. I threatened to get a shirt that said I'M THE GUY.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh my my.....

My fabric scissors are NOT allowed to cut paper.

I've found over the years if I buy quality stuff, it lasts. If you buy cheap, you wind up muttering to yourself and we already have issues because we're crazy bird people. Too many tools of low quality could make us wind up living in a mental institution.
I had a roommate in college who was an elementary education major and was doing something on how to make paper with her kids at the school she was at...SHE USED MY BLENDER TO TURN PAPER INTO PULP SO SHE COULD PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!!!! WHAT?!?!?!??!?!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I had a roommate in college who was an elementary education major and was doing something on how to make paper with her kids at the school she was at...SHE USED MY BLENDER TO TURN PAPER INTO PULP SO SHE COULD PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!!!! WHAT?!?!?!??!?!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, I almost forgot about this thread and now I've definitely had some fun with it but the reason I came back is to let Shawna know that our baby drill press is a SKIL. I'm pretty sure it's the 10" one and it's really cute and I've never had a problem with it! Here's a link I dug up!

SKIL 10" Drill Press with Laser 3320

Had to come back and add, Sarah, don't look at it, you'll probably kill it just looking at the poor thing...it's definitely not in your league!:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you @jmfleish! I ended up going with a cheapo 8" from Harbor Freight :p I ended up getting it for $52. So I figure if it does die early, lesson learned, and not a huge investment lost. I was able to see it in action before I bought it which helped, too.

8 in. 5 Speed Bench Drill Press

So maybe someday I will graduate but I love this little guy already! :heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you @jmfleish! I ended up going with a cheapo 8" from Harbor Freight :p I ended up getting it for $52. So I figure if it does die early, lesson learned, and not a huge investment lost. I was able to see it in action before I bought it which helped, too.

Yep, I went for years with a hand held and when I got a hold of that little SKIL I wondered what I had waited so long for!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Some of the Harbor Freight tools are pretty good as long as you know what your getting and take some time to calibrate or line them up properly. I bought a 12" sliding compound Miter Saw from them after trying to find a deal on a used Dewalt of some sort. Good thing is it was dirt cheap, reviews were good, and if it doesn't work out I'm not out 500 bucks or same if it breaks soonish. I plan to line it up properly and eventually replace the crappy wood trim and things in my house with it. If you expect pro quality results with a cheap tool your probably going to be disappointed, if you expect pretty good results with a little work, and don't use it for heavy production work you should be happy most times.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

I have had that one for a year and a half. It's been great, especially when I switched to spade bits (think that's what they're called) for cleaner holes. However, it is a cheapo: it's starting to break down. My next one will be a better one, simply out of necessity.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I have had that one for a year and a half. It's been great, especially when I switched to spade bits (think that's what they're called) for cleaner holes. However, it is a cheapo: it's starting to break down. My next one will be a better one, simply out of necessity.

I do have some spade bits; haven't played with them a lot though as my old handheld was slipping a lot. I'll have to try it out! If I can get a year or two out of this I'll be satisfied honestly. Gives me time to save up for something better :)

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Spade bits are good for drilling bigger holes. The thing I hate about spade bits is they grab the wood, so you need to use a clamp for safety. I prefer forstner bits, they are more expensive but do a better job at drilling the holes, are easy to sharpen and arent as grabby as spade bits.

@Macawnutz LOL, ya know if you back the bit up a few times it doesnt burn the wood.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

@Macawnutz LOL, ya know if you back the bit up a few times it doesnt burn the wood.

I can back and forth many times and it still does. The only thing that helps is a pilot hole. Have you drilled continuous 4" long 1" diameter holes with the grain? If you can drill more than a few before burning wood I want your complete setup and instructions. ;)

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Yes I can as a matter of fact, its called a band saw LOL
I made a simple jig on my band saw that makes cutting perfect circles a snap.
All it is, is a small piece of plywood, a runner under it to use the miter slot and then holes in a line that use a dowel.
Of course you have to have a band saw and 1" holes would be tedious.
I can cut quite a few of what you are saying on the drill press without burning the wood, but it takes a sharp bit and depends on the wood.
If its just making a hole in pine, I still think forstner bits are the way to go, but if you are cutting out the piece, hole saw bits are the way to go.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes I can as a matter of fact, its called a band saw LOL
I made a simple jig on my band saw that makes cutting perfect circles a snap.
All it is, is a small piece of plywood, a runner under it to use the miter slot and then holes in a line that use a dowel.
Of course you have to have a band saw and 1" holes would be tedious.
I can cut quite a few of what you are saying on the drill press without burning the wood, but it takes a sharp bit and depends on the wood.
If its just making a hole in pine, I still think forstner bits are the way to go, but if you are cutting out the piece, hole saw bits are the way to go.

I only have forester bits and they burned wood on the first day in use. We tried a hole saw thing and that was ridiculous, never again. Lol. I have a band saw, looking at it I'm confused how that would help me. I have a scroll saw that wouldn't help either. Pictures?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I only have forester bits and they burned wood on the first day in use. We tried a hole saw thing and that was ridiculous, never again. Lol. I have a band saw, looking at it I'm confused how that would help me. I have a scroll saw that wouldn't help either. Pictures?
These are the kind of bits you guys should be using for larger holes (Auger bits). Self tapping tip. Pulls it's own way through the wood. Makes a nice clean hole. For anything 3/4" or smaller just you regular metal drill bits.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Here's another tip. Drill your (one big) holes into the big original stock (or stack and clamp) whenever you can and then cut into blocky stuff. All the blocks will already have holes. Much easier to hold/clamp the original stock.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I will try anything once @JLcribber so I will order one for my 1" holes. :) I don't have a problem with needing a clamp or holding the pieces. Just drilling the holes without smoking the room. Lol