• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drill press?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm looking at possibly investing in a drill press for my shop. I do have a bench where I could mount one, but other than that I know nothing about them. Anything I should definitely look for? I'm usually not drilling anything thicker than 2 inches, and mostly pine and balsa.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh! Hubby bought me one when I started making toys. You wil loooove it. So worth it.

Sorry I can't help you tho. Mine just showed up.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hubby wants one! I saw a nice big one at Sears today, with a movable, and titltable bottom plate for $200.00 but they were out of them....boo.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I can think of 3 things to look for off the top of my head.
Travel or stroke, you say you only drill up to 2" but I would get a press with more than 2 ", say 3 or 4 " That way you can always drill bigger wood if needed.
Variable speed I believe is important so you can not only drill wood but metal as well. You can also change the speed for drill bits or forstner bits.
Runout, this is the amount of wobble a bit has. The Wen model I currently have has almost no runout, which helps in making precise holes.

The one I currently have is a Wen 4225 floor standing model. It has variable speed and has 4" of travel. It was $450 when I got it and is now right at $500.
It may be more than you are looking for price or size wise but I always try to get more than I will need, and I usually use it and am glad I did get a bigger model.
They have several bench top models, the 4214 has 3 1/8" of travel and variable speed and is $220 on amazon with free shipping.
I like the fact you can change the speeds without changing a belt.
Sorry for book, I could go on but if you have any other questions Id be glad to help.
A drill press is a great tool to have and can do so many things.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are two kinds of tools. Consumer grade and commercial grade. The difference between the two is durability (and to a degree accuracy). A consumer grade model will have more plastic/lightweight parts. Easier to go out of alignment and get loose over time. The motor will not last as long.

If you are going to use it every day and drill for a couple of hours (100's of holes) then you need a commercial model. If you're just going to use it 2 or 3 times a week to drill 25 holes then a cheap one will work fine.

I NEVER buy cheap tools because it doesn't pay over the long term. You run a business so spend a little more. Get a good one and write the cost of it off. Pay the tax or buy a "nice" tool. No brainer.

A drill press is a drill press. Not that much to know.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I forgot to add, I dont work for Wen or get paid anything from them, just a happy customer. Ive drilled hundreds of holes with it and it still works like the day I got it.
My last drill press was a 80's model craftsman that I used for 30 years before it gave up the ghost. I had thought of buying another but my dad has a newer one and the quality is not
even close to the same.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I probably drill for 20 mins a few days a week right now, with a hand drill. Nothing major. But it would be nice to have, and would make easier and faster work for me.

We have been through THREE of them in less than 6 months. Now I'm going for a floor model with at least a 4 inch spindle drop.

What have you been buying so I don't?? LOL

Thank you @JLcribber and @txdyna65 ! You've given me some things to think about. I don't want to go super expensive but maybe the cheapo Harbor Freight isn't for me regardless :p

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What have you been buying so I don't?? LOL

Thank you @JLcribber and @txdyna65 ! You've given me some things to think about. I don't want to go super expensive but maybe the cheapo Harbor Freight isn't for me regardless :p

My biggest problem is I'm allowed to touch the cheapo tools, when we buy the big fancy tools my husband won't allow me to touch them. :rofl:

DO NOT BUY THIS! In fact, buy nothing ryobi ever. :laugh: I can't remember what drill press we had before this one and other than the spindle drop I can't remember why we hated it but it was replaced with this. Bought by my father in law... :rolleyes:
Ryobi 10 in. Drill Press with Laser-DP103L - The Home Depot

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Mizzely, we finally invested in a small one because Jon refused to drag his big industrial one from his mom's house in Waukesha where it was being stored...he said it was too heavy to move. We got a really cute one from Harbor Freight for about $120 and it's small enough to sit on a table but does a great job! Most of what I drill is pine or the softer woods but it does the hard stuff as well and can handle balsa just as well. I think we've had it for two years now and it takes a pretty good beating because of the business and the stuff I give our crew of birds. It's been a real trooper. I can give you the name and model number when I get home if you want. I really like it.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

My biggest problem is I'm allowed to touch the cheapo tools, when we buy the big fancy tools my husband won't allow me to touch them. :rofl:

DO NOT BUY THIS! In fact, buy nothing ryobi ever. :laugh: I can't remember what drill press we had before this one and other than the spindle drop I can't remember why we hated it but it was replaced with this. Bought by my father in law... :rolleyes:
Ryobi 10 in. Drill Press with Laser-DP103L - The Home Depot
Sarah is the "buy big or go home" kinda gal!:) We have a Ryobi mitre saw that we've had for years that gets the job done. I can't comment on that specific drill press but our drill press is probably about that same size...ours has a cute red cover though!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You know, now that I think about it, I think our drill press came from Farm and Fleet...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Haha I just bought a Ryobi hand drill because my trusty Black & Decker was going out after 6 years of abuse. :p

@jmfleish I would love to hear which one you have!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
We have been through THREE of them in less than 6 months. Now I'm going for a floor model with at least a 4 inch spindle drop.
:omg:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

We drill lots of big wood. :D

I can't give any advice on what "to" buy as I have not found it yet. When we buy a $500 or more drill press I won't be allowed to use it. :arghh: I have so few tools I'm allowed to touch as it is.

"The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower"

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
We drill lots of big wood. :D

I can't give any advice on what "to" buy as I have not found it yet. When we buy a $500 or more drill press I won't be allowed to use it. :arghh: I have so few tools I'm allowed to touch as it is.

"The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower""The air compressor is not a leaf blower"
I get in trouble all the time too. He walked in to give me a good night kiss last night. "Those are my pliers!" Yes because all of mine are gone for some reason. Okay for him to borrow my stuff.

He shouldn't curtail your creative mind...just saying :lol:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He shouldn't curtail your creative mind...just saying :lol:

It stems from a history of oopsies. "oh, you are too busy to drill this for me? Then I will drill it" "Honey, can you fill in a hole in the concrete floor? The drill went too far" :rofl:

I'm one of THOSE wives. ;) Oh I'll do it, just better be ready for me to do it!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

It stems from a history of oopsies. "oh, you are too busy to drill this for me? Then I will drill it" "Honey, can you fill in a hole in the concrete floor? The drill went too far" :rofl:

I'm one of THOSE wives. ;) Oh I'll do it, just better be ready for me to do it!
Oh we would do famously together! There are a few ah, holes in the laminate in the old house. Thought I had it but perhaps not...:angelic:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh we would do famously together! There are a few ah, holes in the laminate in the old house. Thought I had it but perhaps not...:angelic:

I think I knew it was going to happen.... but didn't care. :sneaky: :shy:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
My wife thankfully doesnt even ask to touch the power tools. Now regular tools is another thing, I ended up buying her a tool bag and some tools so she would stop stealing mine.
She keeps it in the spare room and if she sees me using one of them in the house she makes sure to tell me to put it back in HER tool bag :shake: