• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

downpayment on a Hawkhead

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am seriously in love with these birds and figure I can handle the behaviors. I researched and read. Understand the moodiness and high energy..
Here is my problem, I have a bird sitter, took very long to find her. My friend will watch my grey on occasion and I watch hers. The problem I have discovered is that my bird sitter will NOT watch or care for a hawkhead, says they are a danger to her other birds and too aggressive. My friend and I travel together about twice a year, 10 day vacations and that is when I use the bird sitter. She is so experienced with birds that I never thought she would say "no". I am stumped with what to do. I had planned to pick up the baby Hawkhead this weekend and even have a cage in route and have bought toys, perches... The bird sitter is very experienced, she watches birds and does nails and wings (not Louise's wings). I gone through care.com and a few folks say they are experienced with birds but in email exchanges it is clear they are not. My vet does not board and I do not know of a boarding facility in my area.
If I don't find a solution quick, I am going to have to pass on this bird. I will prob lose the down payment which is a bummer but it is why they ask for a down payment so it is what it is. I got a lot of help in finding this baby and was/am very excited, now I am scared. I can't give up travel...
Thoughts?

KatMug

Meeting neighbors
This is a tough decision, do you know why the bird sitter thinks that hawkheads are dangeros? Maybe she thinks it a normal hawk? Its kinda weird she would say no to that... Hawkheads are hard to find so I would hate for you to give it up. Maybe if you have roomates or something, you can teach them basic care for when you are gone :/ Sorry im not much help >. <

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sort of "get" your birdsitter. Target was very bird-aggressive and had seriously injured Josie in the past. She didn't tolerate other birds. But I just did separate out of cage times, as did my birdsitters. I hope you can find a solution.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
That seems a little strange for her to make a statement like that
Especially if she is experienced. This is a baby bird ,we're taking about. She can't be the only one around to care for your birds while you're away. If it were me I would go forward with my plans of getting my baby bird, and do more research on finding a competent person. Possibly she could meet the baby , before coming to these conclusions.

Last edited:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
good suggestions, keep them coming... it is a baby bird now, but it will grow up. She only knows Hawkheads from reputation. She has, I think, 5 birds and I think one is an amazon. Birds she watches go in the front room, her birds are back down the hall. It is a living room/family room set up. They don't have direct access but her concern is during out of cage time and flight. I live alone (well, I have pets) so no room mates. Only two friends who are not afraid of birds (one has a grey too) , and that is with whom I travel. My other friends do not understand birds and are nervous even when Louise is in her cage. My friend's bird sitter is a house sitter and won't come out this far. I have a work trip in July and my friends are coming with me so this will be a problem soon... I tried to get my dog sitter comfortable with birds because she wanted to be able to add that to her advertising. She is terrified of Louise. Louise goes to anyone. Never has drawn blood. I can call the local rescues perhaps, maybe they know someone?

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Surely there's someone else competent to watch them while you're gone. It's good you're thinking about this now, instead of in July, but I'd still be looking for someone else to birdsit.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Just a thought, but if your friend's birdsitter won't watch your birds because you're too far, is it possible to take your fids over to your friend's house while you're gone?

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
I am equally confused with your bird sitters comments. I have known individuals with Hawkheads (I also covet them) and understand some if not intimately their territorial behavior quirks, my friends had not had to give up travel and have had sitters come in and watch their birds for them while they are gone. They just didn't take the Hawkhead out of it's cage. The birds were fed and interacted with through their cages and were no worse for where when the owners returned. Once one of them actually sent the bird to a sitter and in this case the bird had a cage that it was used to and toys that went with the bird to the sitter and the sitter fed and tended the bird but did not take it out of it's cage. While Hawkheads don't tend to like strangers and once they establish their flock can be very aggressive of outsiders (bird or human) I have known a couple that don't mind "outsiders" (in this instance me) that was a regular visitor, I could handle and play with the bird even though I was not part of the flock and only a regular visitor. While our birds often share common traits with others of their species they are all unique (my male lilac crown thinks he is a cockatoo, he is mature and does not have noticeable seasonal mood swings, he does get jealous of my LSC, but she is equally disdainful of him). It surprises me that someone with bird experience would right off a bird because of it's species, particularly one that is young. I know bird sitters are hard to find, but if she insists I would look for another bird sitter.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She’s basing her opinion on second hand stories. That would lessen my confidence in her... find someone else ask the vet for recommendations. Some of our vet’s techs pet sit.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
In July the bird will not even yet be a year. It should be manageable. Can't say how it will mature 3 or 4 years & its a male so could be difficult during hormones esp to someone not in the flock.

Still if you have a cage with feeder doors & a pull out bottom tray the bird need not pose a danger for a week that you are away.

I went to the pet shop where Lloyd saved the macaw & Lou was there (I think Lloyd works Tu Th & a weekend day.) He said they are hard to handle & was surprised Penny was as good as she is but he said its all about how they are trained but males can be more diffcult. I don;t know how well he knows hawkheads but he says there bite is bad...like an amazon...

I hope you can work it out.

He wants to see Penny. LOL

Remember that bird at the fair was sweet & got along fine with other birds...

OOOh Penny is doing that eeehhhh aaahhhh thing she does...LOL Then it goes into fire/smoke alarm pitch & sound...ooohhhh...

I left today for half a day...just gave her tangerine & ice...both favs

OOOh Lou says they live 50 60 years!!! like greys...

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How far away is the breeder? Would they be able to bird-sit in July? They'd certainly be qualified. Might be good for his socialization, too?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
4 hour drive each way. they gave suggestion to call local bird stores, they are 45 min away and 60 min away.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
4 hrs ea way is a stretch for a sitter.

Local pet shops do board but you have to trust them & the level of care which is min in most cases. Perfect Parrot has a nice facility & they require vet check & shots prior to boarding. They have a good filtered air system.

It does concern me to board a bird near other birds in the event one of them has a bad disease.

A sitter would be preferable but you have to trust them too.

I can't understand why a bird knowledgeable person could not handle a hawkhead in a cage with feeder doors & a pull out tray.

July is really not that far away & your bird will still be under a year so it should not be a problem.

I am concerned about Penny too but I have only left a few times in 15 years!

I have not even told my neighbors who watch my bird. First of all its a much bigger bird than Rio & 2nd Penny is still getting used to me so I don;t want to introduce her to anyone else yet & they might want to come & look in on the new baby! They want to see Rio every once in a while as they are fond of him so it will be good to get Penny used to them too.

I might even fib & say Penny is staying with me for a while & then say that the owner decided not to take her back... Sometimes you have to do these things.

:fairy3:

Anyway I hope things work out for you.

The baby is a good thing & only thing you really are not sure of is you may have preferred a female. Still sometimes a male can be just as good of a pet but I am not really that knowledgeable about the larger males & hormones which I have heard you may just have to back off & give them space during that time.

Whatever happens I truly feel will usually lead you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have 2 Hawkheads (1 male, 1 female) that we brought into our flock at age 1; they bonded within 5 minutes of seeing each other. :heart: The male is hyperactive and the female has a sweet gentle personality. Not unlike other bird species; just personality. They do raise their headdress and weave their necks like a snake when they are fearful which can be frightening to some. I would ask your sitter to try to interact with your baby when she can and if just changing waters and adding food for a week is acceptable to her and if your baby doesn't need handfeeding, the baby would be fine for a week in the cage if they wouldn't accept your sitter as a friend.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Can't make your entire life revolve around one temperamental bird sitter.

Hopefully you will have many decades with your flock.

No one knows when the curtain will close or how we will make our final bows!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How are you going to feel if you don't get this baby? Could you stand the regret?

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@Sweet Louise I thought you lived near Grand Rapids? I can bird sit for you :) otherwise Casa La Parrot does boarding, that’s where I brought Fritz when we went on vacation.