• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Double Yellow Head or Blue Front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm still debating another bird. I know it's going to be a female Amazon, but I'm still unsure of which type. Anyone care to comment on the differences between the two species? I would love to have a singer, but I'll love her if she never says a word.

Susan

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have females of both species and they are both fantastic birds :) Tasha (DYH) is a singer, whistler and talker. Not very hands on but still a nice bird :) Cyan used to sing her own version of opera (lol) but not so much any more. She talks a little bit but its only when she really wats something (food usually, haha). She is a very hands-on bird and loves to hang out with me. That doesnt mean other females of both species would be the same but thats how these two are and they are both wonderful for their own personalities :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Easy decision for Moi = I would, at least (eventually), get one of each. So if you are of that frame of mind, doesn't matter which comes into your home first. ;) :lol:

Napes and Blue Fronts (& other Zons) live here. Always wanted at least one DYH. One (or two) may one day yet find it's way into this flock. :)

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Koba is a Blue Front and she is a huge talker! Even though you can't always understand what she's saying, she constantly talks. I wouldn't doubt for a minute she'd be singing if I had the nerve to sing out loud! She's only a little over 2 years old and picks things up without us trying to teach her, really. She is also a cockatoo in a green outfit..!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiram is a huge talker and singer...I say the DYA. Hiram is very hands on and loves his scritches.DYA DYA DYA DYA:lol:have I mentioned Double yellow head

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Marian said it! My DYA, Wasabi, is not a big talker or a singer, either. He jabbers more than either one. I don't know if the female DYAs speak more (or better than) the boys. Good luck with whomever you choose!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Our BFAs sing all the time!! In fact, they sing so much that even a couple of our Greys are starting to sing. :dancing:

Here, check this out....the birds singing in the mid-segment are sisters...Lolita and Cookie. Cookie is the baby and a year younger than Lolita. Both female. Cookie learned to sing the Copacabana Song from Lolita. :dance5:

I tried to attach the vid here but the best I can do is to share its link:

BFA Vids :: Movie.flv video by Nestbox - Photobucket

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Out of curiosity, those of you who have singing Amazons, do you play a lot of music or sing to your birds? How do they acquire this skill?

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks! I love the video! They look so cute hanging upside down by one foot. This won't be an easy decision!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Titanis I sing to him and have a radio playing several hours a day for him.Maybe I can do a video of him singing soon.

southernbirds

I hear that the very best talkers are double yellows. I once had a blue front and he was a great talker. Not only that, he was an easy going bird. Do allot of looking and research before making your decision.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Out of curiosity, those of you who have singing Amazons, do you play a lot of music or sing to your birds? How do they acquire this skill?
Yes, I sing to my birds. I think just about everyone does, right? I started singing Copacabana because Lolita's given name is Lola and the opening line to the song is "Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl....". I started singing it to her while she was being handfed and I kept it up afterwards. Not a daily thing but I could see her cocking her head to one side as I sang to her and wondered if she would one day sing it back to me. Boy, did she! Not only her, but several of our Amazons sing that song! LOL

She's moved on now to singing the opening line of the song a lot but still will sing the chorus a few times every day. She's trying to get down the word "hair" from the line, "with yellow feathers in her hair". I have a video of her practicing somewhere....I'll have to see if I have that saved on photobucket too.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
I sing to my birds and we play alot of music here

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I sing to my birds all the time. It's not a pretty sight, or sound, that's for sure, but the birds seem to enjoy it. My family is always telling me I should sing tenor.....ten or 12 miles away from them, hehehe. Glad the birds aren't so critical. The more I belt it out and the more off key I am, they start yelling and singing along. I also leave the radio on for them when I'm out of the house.

Concerning your decision, omg, how does one decide? Besides getting them both, maybe you should meet a couple from each species and let the bird pick you. I'm a big amazon lover so I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Good luck!

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I don't think birds have much taste in music. Both my husband and I sing to the birds. He has a beautiful voice, and I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but the birds seem to like my singing just as much as his.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I don't have a DYH but I do own a YNA and BFA. Mateo, my BFA loves to sing. And talk, boys can he talk. Jayde, my nape also talks alot but doesn't seem as interested in singing as Mateo.

As for temperment, I think you would get about the same in either bird. I believe they both can talk and sing very well. Each bird is individual and will choose to do what they want. It also depends on the time spent with the bird.

I think really you should sit down and figure out which want you want the most besides the talking ability.

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I want a crazy, fun-loving bird. With my BCC and my quaker, we have a breakfast ceremony, a bath ceremony, an afternoon muffin ceremony, and a lullaby at night. All of the festivities are raucous and involve songs. I want a bird who will join in the fun wholeheartedly.

catnloco

Out of my birds my favorite is my young DYH. He talks and mumbles all the time. He is learning to sing somewhere over the rainbow in my husbands deep voice. He loves to be held most of the time and man does he LOVE to play. Anything and everything is a toy to him even if it's not a toy....:lol: my vote is
DYH>>>>>DYH>>>>>DYH>>>>>DYH Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.