• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Double Yellow female

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
I thought I had just about decided what sort of bird I wanted -was down to two. Had a good chat with a breeder today, and I asked is there anything else she would recommend I consider. (Recommendation was based on my experience and what I was looking for in a bird)
The answer was a female double yellow Amazon. She said the males can get a little aggressive around breeding season, but the females are sweet. Also mentioned that the double yellow has the best temperament of all the Amazons, in her opinion, closely followed by the yellow nape. I am now strongly swayed in this direction.

Please could you give personal experiences of the female double yellow?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I absolutely love mine who will be 17 in October. I couldn't ask for a better birdie! The only downside to females is that they can have problems with laying eggs...something I'm going through with Amarillo right now. Other than that, I think she's absolutely fabulous and can't say enough fabulous things about her. She is my heart!

ams 6-20-17.JPG

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Got corrected, breeder said yellow Amazon, not double yellow

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Which yellow amazon?

I hear the panama amazon is the sweetest amazon there is.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It would have to be a nape, a Panama, a yellow shoulder, or a yellow front. I don't think yellow loreds are available. I think amazons are great companions. Their body language is unfailingly honest, they are independent, and very intelligent. My DYA, Morgan, has been a fabulous companion. She's sassy and tackles life with gusto, including baths, toys, food, etc. I do agree that a hen would be best for most people.

image.jpeg

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It would have to be a nape, a Panama, a yellow shoulder, or a yellow front. I don't think yellow loreds are available. I think amazons are great companions. Their body language is unfailingly honest, they are independent, and very intelligent. My DYA, Morgan, has been a fabulous companion. She's sassy and tackles life with gusto, including baths, toys, food, etc. I do agree that a hen would be best for most people.

View attachment 255008
Matthew, Morgan is so gorgeous! I just cannot say enough great things about Amazons in general! Most of mine are female though!;) I spent a great deal of time with Cisco last night (we're still trying to determine if Cisco is Cisco or Cissy!) and he's taken a complete love to me and not so much Jon but all Jon had to do is give him a few noodles from his dinner and Cisco decided that Jon was the lovable one of the family and was hanging out on his shoulder and begging for more! Man, all you have to do is feed them to win them over!:)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Matthew, Morgan is so gorgeous! I just cannot say enough great things about Amazons in general! Most of mine are female though!;) I spent a great deal of time with Cisco last night (we're still trying to determine if Cisco is Cisco or Cissy!) and he's taken a complete love to me and not so much Jon but all Jon had to do is give him a few noodles from his dinner and Cisco decided that Jon was the lovable one of the family and was hanging out on his shoulder and begging for more! Man, all you have to do is feed them to win them over!:)

Thank you! She's hormonal or really upset with me, since spring. We're working around it, though. She's 22 and full of p & v.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you! She's hormonal or really upset with me, since spring. We're working around it, though. She's 22 and full of p & v.
That sounds a little bit like Miss Iris, Jon's BFA. She's totally in love with him but tolerates me. She's also in love with Amarillo and when I do anything with Ams, she get's really bratty! I got bit the other day when I had Ams step up for feeding and weighing but Iris doesn't bite hard. She also likes to head butt me if I'm not paying attention!:)

Amarillo never gives me any gruff. She's always as sweet as can be...unless of course I'm trying to medicate her and then she acts like I'm trying to kill her! What a wiggle wart when I try to towel her! LOL! Have I mentioned she's literally the sweetest bird I have? Maybe Cisco is a very close second! And then there is also Abigail who is funny as all get out...she acts like she's a mean old crab but is the biggest puppy dog ever! You just can't go wrong with a female Amazon for the most part! Ok, so we're pretty sure that Cisco is most like a girl!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm thinking upset. I read something that said you have to feed/care/show attention to birds in order .....isn't she your longest bird? Does she get attention, etc. first?

Note my screen name is Clueless and I'm grasping at straws....

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm thinking upset. I read something that said you have to feed/care/show attention to birds in order .....isn't she your longest bird? Does she get attention, etc. first?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to check with the breeder again. There are lots of amazons with yellow in them. If the breeder literally just said yellow amazon, I'd question how much they know about the genus. However, they are correct in that female amazons can be pretty amazing. They certainly aren't placid and not for the feint of heart. But for people that like a little spice and attitude, female amazons can be nearly perfect with out going into the insane aggression that male amazons can have. Do know that even though females are generally pretty awesome, some of them can have a real attitude about less than favorite family members or objects getting close to their favorite person. My pet female nape let me know a few days ago that drinking from a can of Pepsi while she's on my shoulder was not okay by biting my cheek. Thankfully it wasn't much of a bite, so all is forgiven, but that is the sort of thing that even females will do. Many of them are not as gentle as my girl and a facial bite can be a real problem for some people.
Smart people don't let amazons on their shoulder no matter how sweet they seem. Sometimes I wish I was smart like that.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You might want to check with the breeder again. There are lots of amazons with yellow in them. If the breeder literally just said yellow amazon, I'd question how much they know about the genus. However, they are correct in that female amazons can be pretty amazing. They certainly aren't placid and not for the feint of heart. But for people that like a little spice and attitude, female amazons can be nearly perfect with out going into the insane aggression that male amazons can have. Do know that even though females are generally pretty awesome, some of them can have a real attitude about less than favorite family members or objects getting close to their favorite person. My pet female nape let me know a few days ago that drinking from a can of Pepsi while she's on my shoulder was not okay by biting my cheek. Thankfully it wasn't much of a bite, so all is forgiven, but that is the sort of thing that even females will do. Many of them are not as gentle as my girl and a facial bite can be a real problem for some people.
Smart people don't let amazons on their shoulder no matter how sweet they seem. Sometimes I wish I was smart like that.
Jon found out the hard way that Iris does NOT like phones of any kind and he cannot handle them if he's handling her! He can't even put one down by her as she will viciously attack it! Werido! Both of them actually!:D

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

She's the oldest and gets everything first. And no, she's my shortest. ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

I have known several salty female amazons; you'd have thought they were male if you didn't have a sexing certificate.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Which yellow amazon?

I hear the panama amazon is the sweetest amazon there is.
Yellow crown - sorry didn't realise so many types

Also, she said closely followed by yellow nape in terms of temperament.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This spring, I was getting ready to give Morgan her bath; she was on the Showerbird waiting excitedly. Like most amazons, she loves baths. I started to spray her (I use a pump mister), expecting the usual fine mist. Instead, she got hit with a jet of water! The nozzle was on the wrong setting. Even after I corrected this, she didn't enjoy the bath, and she was unusually quiet for several days. She even refused to come out of her cage a few times.

The next week, I stepped her up and took her to the bathroom for a bath. As soon as she saw the sprayer, she flew at me on the attack, so I deflected her with the sprayer. She ended up on the ground, muttering and pacing. I let her cool off for a few minutes, picked her up, and returned her to her cage. The next week, she bit me hard, twice, as only an Amazon can. I was in shock. That makes only 4 bites in 22 years, which I think is pretty good. Frankly, I was leery of her the next week and left her alone if she seemed aggressive or excited when asked to step up. The same thing happened with her bath again. I'm dumb and finally realized the sprayer was setting her off. I hid it and bathed her with a spray bottle, no problem.

She is coming out of her cage better, but hormones (lots of toy enjoyment, if you know what I mean, and incessant calling), the sprayer, and probably Annie flying to her cage have teed her off. We are working on it. She is showing some signs of cooling off, letting me rub her beak, cheeks, and nares through the cage bars. I'm cautious of out time as Mom just got home from rehab for a knee replacement, and I'm worried about Morgan jumping on her if she gets angry. But, as I said, we're working on it.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
The breeder I have found said she will be careful to choose the right individual bird for me, in terms of good with kids etc. she said however good their upbringing, individual birds will always have different personalities. If they are not up to the right standard, they don't get sold as a companion bird.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The breeder I have found said she will be careful to choose the right individual bird for me, in terms of good with kids etc. she said however good their upbringing, individual birds will always have different personalities. If they are not up to the right standard, they don't get sold as a companion bird.
Parrots generally are not good with kids in the way that a dog is. If the bird bonds to you, within a few years it will grow up and the kids will learn to avoid the bird or they will bleed. That is true of most parrots, but amazons are among those prone to being one persony. Even the females. There are exceptions, but if you have kids you might want to reality check your priorities. If it's a deal breaker that your kids be able to handle the bird, then you might not want an amazon or most other large parrot species. If its okay with you if the kids co-exist with the bird without actually handling it, then you are probably good to go with a female yellow crown. Many amazons will be sweet to everyone as babies, but sometime between 2 and 8 years old they will pick a favorite and possibly start to defend that person. With the degree of aggression increasing through about 8-10 years old. For the chosen favorite, everything will be wonderful though. Unless one of the hated children gets close to you while you are holding the amazon, in which case the bird might bite you in order to drive you away from the evil children/competition. If you are set on an amazon, a female yellow crown is one of the ones more likely to stay decent to the kids, however, don't count on it if not biting kids is important to you. You could just as easily end up with a typical amazon which means some degree of aggression will always be just below the surface waiting for an excuse to come out.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
I am ok with it, so long as body language is there. The kids like to pat the head occassionally, under supervision, so I think will be ok.